• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Measurements

KensethFan

Hello All,

I was looking at Professional Chef 8th Edition by the Culinary Institute of America today. I was looking to make a Espagnole sauce and a Bechemel sauce. When I began to look at the recipes, I found the measurements for the Milk and for the Brown Stock very confusing:

For the Espagnole: 1 gal 64 fl oz/5.76 L

For the Milk: 1 gal 16 fl oz/4.32 L

The way I read this is that I should be using 1 gallon. But 1 gallon does not equal 64 fl oz nor does it equal 16 fl oz.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

--- KensethFan

You sure it's not 1 gal AND 64 fl. oz? And 1 gal 16 fl oz?

Anyways, just remember that generally speaking a pound of roux will thicken a gallon of liquid.

Remember that the longer you cook a roux the less effective it's thickening power becomes, and you can always adjust consistency after it comes to a boil.

I can't remember the last time I weighed a roux out...I usually just make a bunch then thicken my liquid when it hits a boil with room temp roux. When it reaches the thickness I am looking for I stop...season, simmer, etc. You can keep roux in the fridge for a while too. Won't hurt anything.

Hello All,

I was looking at Professional Chef 8th Edition by the Culinary Institute of America today.  I was looking to make a Espagnole sauce and a Bechemel sauce.  When I began to look at the recipes, I found the measurements for the Milk and for the Brown Stock very confusing:

For the Espagnole: 1 gal 64 fl oz/5.76 L

For the Milk: 1 gal 16 fl oz/4.32 L

The way I read this is that I should be using 1 gallon.  But 1 gallon does not equal 64 fl oz nor does it equal 16 fl oz.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

one gallon AND 64fl oz.(192oz)....One gallon AND 16 fl oz....etc

Good luck

Bud