• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Secaucus Lunch

Cook456

The company that I work for has decided to move their offices from NY to Secaucus. Are there any decent places to have lunch?

Am I going to have to brown bag it? I'm not really a deli sandwich or a Burger king type..

Don't dissapoint me...

Medieval Times? :wacko:

The meads on me...

I'm so sorry I don't have a suggestion for you- sneak down 1+ 9 to Elizabeth for some righteous BBQ.

:)

Good luck!

The company that I work for has decided to move their offices from NY to Secaucus.  Are there any decent places to have lunch? 

Am I going to have to brown bag it?  I'm not really a deli sandwich  or a Burger king type..

Don't dissapoint me...

China Chef, which is on Patterson Plank Road in "downtown" Secaucus (a few hundred feet from Rt. 3 E) does an excellent dim sum on weekends with carts, but on weekdays they have about 75% of those items available, which they cook from frozen to order. Does that qualify as lunch for you? (I've never had anything but dim sum there.)

On the other side of Rt. 3 you have a Bonefish Grill, but I don't know if they serve lunch, or if that'd be up to your standards anyway. There's also a place called "LA Estrella Del Caribe" right there on Rt. 3 E, but I've never been. And there's a "Harold's Deli" (no connection in years to the original) in the Quality Inn by the intersection with Rt. 17, but every time I've been it's been horrible.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Daley's Cafe

780 5th St

Secaucus NJ 07094

Phone: 201-617-4043

I worked in Secaucus in the mid '80's. This was the first place I thought of and I googled it to see if it was still there. Simple pub kind of a place, beer signs on the wall and all that but the food is good in a very basic way. Go check it out, what do you have to lose?

A very elaborate bagel place with (not only great bagels) a gigantic sandwich selection, hot and cold, and a lots more.

Decent Pizza place in the Shopping center in town.  Also a bagel place.

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

i would eat at Chipotle every day.  and if i didn't i'd be tempted to try Cheeseburger in Paradise.  But then I'd probably be back at Chipotle from there on out.  except for when i'd sneak out to Rutt's Hut.  or White Mana on route 1.

Forgot about Chipotle in that other area of Secaucus. Will have to get my fix every now and then.. Have one four doors down from my present office.

So far haven't heard of any "heathly' places, but it's a start..

Forgot about Chipotle in that other area of Secaucus.  Will have to get my fix every now and then..  Have one four doors down from my present office.

So far haven't heard of any "heathly' places, but it's a start..

There's always the Subway in the food court area behind Chipotle. :-P

Jason did a post on La Estrella del Caribe and it looks quite great.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Will you have time to leave Secaucus for places like No. Bergen or Lyndhurst, or are you looking for REALLY local spots?

Fwiw, I haven't been to La Estrella in 8-10 years, but it was good when we used to go...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you like Indian food, Tadka in downtown Secaucus is not a bad place for lunch. They do a buffet lunch weekdays, but you can also order out - two choices: a vegetarian or a "non-vegetarian" lunch box.

There used to be more dining options in the Mill Creek Mall's food court (where stop 'n' shop is) in Harmon Meadows. The Chinese place in the food court is a standout among all the fast food franchises. What's on the steam tables is standard American Chinese, but IMHO done fairly well (for AC). If don't like what's there, you can always order something off the menu and they prepare it fairly quickly. I find the a la carte items more to my taste. There was a Greek place right next to them that did a killer gyro but alas they're no longer there. The mall is also slowly dying.

I order from Chipotle fairly often, but have yet to try Cheeseburger in Paradise. Around the same area, among the usual chain restaurants - Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Chili's, Houlihan's, Uno, etc - there's also a Japanese place that does fairly decent bento boxes - nothing to write home about. I find their chicken a tad dry.

If you're willing to go out a little further, one of my favorites is a Korean/Japanese place in East Rutherford called Kayasan. Most of what I've tried has been excellent, and they lay out the full banchan for lunch. They don't hold back on the spice either. I ordered once from the "Japanese" side of the menu - a pork bento box, IIRC - but was disappointed. Nowadays, I stick mostly to the Korean dishes.

If you're gonna go to East Rutherford for lunch you may as well just go home, right? :laugh: At least you'd know what you'd be getting.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

If you're willing to venture a few minutes north on Rt. 17, and you like classic French food, especially "Pot au Feu", there's a fabulous place that does a quick, hand-held version of a boiled beef with onions, in which the beef is ground (for easier eating on-the-go) and it's served on a moist bun that's pre-garnished with a bit of gherkin. It's on the southbound side of 17 in Hasbrouck Heights, and they have in-car service options. The portions are small but very reasonably priced and they have quantity pricing available.

If you're willing to venture a few minutes north on Rt. 17, and you like classic French food, especially "Pot au Feu", there's a fabulous place that does a quick, hand-held version of a boiled beef with onions, in which the beef is ground (for easier eating on-the-go) and it's served on a moist bun that's pre-garnished with a bit of gherkin.  It's on the southbound side of 17 in Hasbrouck Heights, and they have in-car service options.  The portions are small but very reasonably priced and they have quantity pricing available.

what is name of the restaurant?

If you're willing to venture a few minutes north on Rt. 17, and you like classic French food, especially "Pot au Feu", there's a fabulous place that does a quick, hand-held version of a boiled beef with onions, in which the beef is ground (for easier eating on-the-go) and it's served on a moist bun that's pre-garnished with a bit of gherkin.  It's on the southbound side of 17 in Hasbrouck Heights, and they have in-car service options.  The portions are small but very reasonably priced and they have quantity pricing available.

what is name of the restaurant?

The name is Chateau Blanc, and the address is 37 Route 17 (Southbound). It's just across from where Industrial Ave. intersects the northbound lanes of 17. It's about 325 ft. north of the Houlihan's which is also on the South side of 17. It's all just a bit south of the intersection with Route 46.

in the interest of saving people some time, markk is referring to White Castle.  also a most excellent option.

Excuse me while I wipe my lunch off the monitor... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If you're gonna go to East Rutherford for lunch you may as well just go home, right?  :laugh:  At least you'd know what you'd be getting.

Oh that will also be an option once the nice weather gets here. Nothing like sitting on your deck having lunch enjoying the sunshine.

The mileage from the new offices to the driveway of my complex..

7miles...

priceless!!

Having worked at 200 Plaza Drive in the Harmon Meadows complex for 20 years, I would just bring my own lunch. Even the cafeteria there wasn't very good, so our group mostly brought in their own food every day. There is a good pizza place in town that we used to order from, but the name escapes me now. Most of the selections for eating around there are fast food. There is a diner in town and I ate there once. It wasn't anything worth heading back to. Good luck! Congratulations on your wonderful new commute. :biggrin:

KathyM

I used to work in Secaucus and there is a great little Italian restaurant on County Ave. called Lorenzo's. You can eat in or call ahead and take out. Their food is very good.

Here is a link to a website that has their menu's and info about the restaurant itself.