• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

24" Freestanding Oven/Range for NYC

Jesikka

I am thinking of replacing my Avanti gas oven/range with something for a bit of a more serious cook, but I live in a rental and I'm limited to 24 inches. I think Viking may make a 24 inch stove, but I'm not really entirely aware of my options. I don't really mind spending money on the stove itself (I've lived in my rental for 3 years and will probably be there for at least another 2-3 before I buy a place), but I can't change the configuration. Ideally I'd like a gas range with an electric oven, but you can explain to me why I'd prefer something else if need be.

Thanks!

Viking does make a 24" range. You can get one for about $3,000. They're very nice. FiveStar also makes a beautiful 24" range in that price bracket. There's also a brand called Capital that's a little less expensive.

More in the $1,000 range you can get the top-of-the-line Avanti, which comes in stainless and is probably better than what you're replacing, or a Premier or Summit in stainless. It seems that, especially if you're going to abandon the unit in less than five years, you might be better off with one of these.

Dual fuel (gas range with electric oven) is theoretically the best configuration, however in most New York City apartments you have individually metered electric but the gas is a building expense. Therefore if you cook with electric you get a higher electric bill, whereas if you cook with gas it's a fixed building cost no matter how much you cook. So I've never used a dual fuel configuration, even though I've had the option during two past renovations.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My issue with the Avanti that I have now is that basically only one burner is useful, because the others do not create enough heat. Cooking a dinner party for 10 is a challenge with one burner.

I was thinking of spending about $2000. Any suggestions for getting ranges at cost/discount would be much appreciated.

My research since I posted turns up options by Viking, DeLonghi, Capital, FiveStar, BlueStar and AGA. They all seem to be just a bit pricier than I was thinking- given that it IS a rental.

HI.

I've seen 24 inch stoves from lots of different manufacturers when I looked at renovating my kitchen. Are you planning on keeping the stove and when you move? You should check your lease, landlord and/or real estate lawyer. (I've read in the NY times that you might be required to put the original stove back, even if yours is newer and better.)

Jeff

HI. 

I've seen 24 inch stoves from lots of  different manufacturers when I looked at renovating my kitchen. Are you planning on keeping the stove and when you move? You should check your lease, landlord and/or real estate lawyer.  (I've read in the NY times that you might be required to put the original stove back, even if yours is newer and better.) 

Jeff

I actually am a real estate attorney, so I suppose I can ask myself (although I don't currently know the answer). I think I would plan on keeping the stove when I move and replacing with a version similar to what I have now (a $500 Avanti), but there's no way to know for sure that my next apartment will have a 24" space. I won't leave my place until I buy something, which will certainly be several years and possibly more (but one never knows).

Did you try any of the stoves? I'm interested in knowing what is really great to cook on.

Get with your building super if you're nice enough he can hook you up with the building's appliance supplier. When we replaced our NYC apt appliances my discount off retail was close to 30% and that's including a healthy tip for the super.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea