• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitutions

snowangel

So, it's a nasty day here today, and I'm not risking life and limb for a cup of cream, for a cooked dish.  Can I just use some milk with a mess of butter?

What's the dish in question?

SB (has used evaporated milk or ice cream, depending) :unsure:

So, it's a nasty day here today, and I'm not risking life and limb for a cup of cream, for a cooked dish.  Can I just use some milk with a mess of butter?

Chef-boy did this when he was here making french toast. He beat it to death as I recall then added it to the mix. Best french toast I've ever had.

You can use lowfat dairy (my choice would probably be yogurt rather than cottage cheese) as a substitute. The reason these things separate is because there's enough fat in them to protect the proteins (which are what separates out). A little cornstarch mixed into the dairy before adding it to the rest of the ingredients will do the same thing, and prevent curdling.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have never made a gratin with anything put a bechamel. Cream is extremely expensive here and I never buy it, I only use a 1% low fat milk as it is the cheapest dairy product on the shelves. :biggrin: If everthing has enough seasoning you will never miss the cream.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Well, a lengthy cleaning of the fridge revealed some creme fraiche, so I used that. I'll report tomorrow when we actually eat it. Stay tuned for details, but, given the weather, I'm sure I'll need another substitution tomorrow!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

What can I substitute for a tsp of lemon extract, which I don't have, and like Susan, am not risking life and limb to go out in the snow to get?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Cinnamon buns.

Edited to add, if I'd read the recipe carefully enough, I would have seen that I could use either the lemon extract or a tsp of lemon zest.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

What can I substitute for a tsp of lemon extract, which I don't have, and like Susan, am not risking life and limb to go out in the snow to get?

Assuming you have fresh lemons in the house, you can use grated rind in a ratio 1:2. So for each tsp of extract, use 2 tsp rind instead. I made some lemon biscuits yesterday using this ratio and it worked fine. Also, if you need the extra liquid, you could of course use some fresh juice in addition to the grated rind.