• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Providence & RI Food Media

Chris Amirault

As I just noted over in this topic, Edible Rhody is starting up here in the Ocean State. Seems like a good opportunity to take stock of the current state of the RI food media here in the Biggest Little. What are your thoughts on the ProJo (great piece the other day on Blackstone Valley "ethnic" food, btw)? RI Monthly? Providence Phoenix? Providence Monthly?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I am so glad to know there'll be an EdibleRhody, and I would have missed it without your post--thanks!

My nights have been eGullet-less for a while as I'm trying to catch up on work and sleep, so I caught your query only now, and am hopeful more responses are on their way as it's a great subject. I can't add a whole lot, but FWIW...

I like RIMonthly's practice of publicizing out-of-the-way food sources (full disclosure: My shop was once one of them and the business generated was great) because like a true transplant (as in 'plus royaliste que le roi'), I don't get around the state much, and don't have much other way of finding many of the places they publicize. I like their reviews as well, and often make 'someday' plans to visit places they recommend as 'worth a detour.' The Best of RI recs though I take with a grain of salt: One particular restaurant in my area that always makes the list is on my definite 'won't go' list, because of persistent and pervasive hygiene issues.

The Projo food section I can miss without missing it, if you know what I mean. I am rarely (okay, never to date) moved to make a recipe they publish, although the 'recipes from chefs' seem good sometimes, and it is a nice local touch. I read and usually enjoy the Phoenix'/I] section but don't often visit the places they do (being a South County-ite.)

On a personal note, Chris, I've read a lot of your NEngland posts and am always glad that you are a Providence person--I feel eGullet is enhanced by your participation.

I'm now only a part-time Rhode Islander, but I second the personal note at the end of Jen's message.

I have mixed feelings about RI Monthly and ProJo food section--I'll try to write more about that later--but if you want a good laugh, take a look at the restaurant reviews in the Narragansett Times sometime. Where else can you read a review of a fish joint by someone (unnamed) who doesn't like seafood? a review of a pub by someone who doesn't drink any alcohol? a review of a Penthouse club by a gay guy (oh, wait . . . but that wasn't really a review of the, er, amenities). Come to think of it, the Narragansett Times folks seem to have about the same attitude toward food that Bruni has toward naked girls. I swear, one of the reviews last summer began with something like, I wasn't really hungry when I went to this restaurant, but . . .

Edited by Catherine Iino (log)

Thanks for the propers, jcho.

I just got back from the roll-out party for Edible Rhody, hosted by publisher Alex Corcoran. The mag itself seems solid -- I'm particularly partial to Johnette Rodriguez's piece on quahogs and the two-pager by Christopher Martin of quahog.org on the Greek immigrant origins of the two first NY System weiner shops.

Anyone else seen it? Look in your fave local shops and restaurants, where it's distributed for free.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts