• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining in Freiburg

Brian B

Out of curiosity, I went to the Michelin site. If you go there (www.viamichelin.com) and use the "site map" to find the "restaurants" page, and put in Freiburg, you can check for restaurants with stars or the Bib Gourmand (great meals- and I can attest to this, and reasonable, not astronomical prices), and you'll find that Freiburg has thirty (30) Bib Gourmand restaurants. Yikes !!! Some of them are in the suburbs, but still, Yikes! I've never seen that many in my life.

Edited for grammer.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I assume you mean Freiburg in SW Germany?

I can only see three "Bib Gourmand" restaurants, all of them quite deserving of the honour.

The best hotel *and* the best restaurant is the Colombi. Nothing else comes close.

(I travel to Freiburg regularly. I have friends there and once lived there for three years.)

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Yes, Freiburg in the SW, east of Colmar, France. I just did the search again, and came up with 30 Bib Gourmand restaurants, 20 of which are less than 21 km. If you pm me your e-mail address, I'll be happy to send you the pdf of the results.

And there are three 1-star places within 18 km. Colombi is one of them, and from the Michelin details I went to their website, and the menu looks fabulous !! That works for me!

I assume you mean Freiburg in SW Germany?

I can only see three "Bib Gourmand" restaurants, all of them quite deserving of the honour.

The best hotel *and* the best restaurant is the Colombi.  Nothing else comes close.

(I travel to Freiburg regularly.  I have friends there and once lived there for three years.)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's