• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

I'm being the good aunt and taking my niece and nephew to see the Lion King (42nd near Bway) in a few weeks.  Besides the Olive Garden, which I'd prefer not to visit, are there any kid friendly restaurants in the area for lunch or early dinner?

Casey

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I and another couple are driving into the city on the Saturday before Valentines Day for dinner and a show, and we would like to eat before the show (8:00 start - theater is on W. 41st Street).  

The tricky part is that our friends are vegetarians, and we aren't.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to a restaurant we could go to?  

We were thinking Italian, but the main requirement is a few vegetarian choices on the menu, as well as getting to the show on time.  Also, something at least a little romantic would be nice.  As for price, we don't want to break the bank, so โ-60 a person (not including drinks) would be near our limit.

I'm on record as having been quite underwhelmed with my one trip (but with a large party) to Becco. If you're willing to consider Turkish, check out my review of Turkish Cuisine. It's on 9th Av. near 44 St.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 months later...

I'm going to the Beacon Theater (Broadway & 74th) next week and was looking for something in the area with good food that is not too fancy or expensive.  I searched on Zagats and found Pomodoro Rosso to be reasonably priced and rated.   Has anyone eaten there?  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Susan

Tom Valenti's Ouest is a bit further up Broadway (in the eighties). You will not find better food closer. You can find less expensive food, but I doubt better value. I don't know Pomodoro Rosso, nor do I know the neighborhood well these days, but Ouest was unlike my past esperiences on the UWS. There's Picholine close to Lincoln Center, but that's a more formal and more expensive meal. Zagat is accurate and quite reliable in terms of addresses and phone numbers and better than the yellow pages in other reagrds.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Unfortunately, because Ouest is a unique oasis on the UWS, it can be difficult to get reservations on short notice.

Other nearby options: Compass (formerly Marika) is a bit uneven, but I've had some satisfying meals there.  It's on 70th between Broadway and Amsterdam.   Josie's is very close to the Beacon on 74th and Amsterdam, and has a reliable, dairy-free menu.  This is not fine dining by any stretch of the imagination, but it's reasonably good value.  A few decent Asian places nearby:  Rain, pan-Asian, and Haru, reasonably good sushi.  Monsoon, mostly Vietnamese, is not as good as the previously mentioned places, but it's closer to the Beacon and cheaper.

I like Josie's on 74th and Amsterdam (right across the street from the BT) in the good but not too expensive or fancy category.  Kind of a health food twist to it (usually a turn off for me), but we like that one.  Gabriela's mexican right across the street is decent.  I'd add Marika at about 70th and Ams. which is a fine option but is more in the expensive/fancy category.  SQC is an interesting choice in that area on Columbus. Further north on Columbus (77th-79th) are Cafe Frieda, Calle Ocho and Ocean Grill - medium-priced and generally good food.  

Ouest is great, if you can get a reso - go for it- but it is pricier than these options.

SQC on Columbus between 72 and 73 on west side of street.  Very high quality food, inventive as well as basic bistro.  Fusion and homestyle.  Everything I've eaten from Scott Campbell tastes good!  Great frites and desserts too.

Ernie's (on Broadway just north of the Beacon) is acceptable.  Also, City Grill on Columbus 'tween 73 and 74 (or is it 72 and 73?) is also ok.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Need a place this evening prior to a 7:30 show at Lincoln Center.  Thinking of Sapphire which I've never been to. We're both suckas for decent Indian.   Anyone been there?  What else? -- not French or stuffy or Piccholine.  I'm more of a Jackson Hole person (and proud).

• 2 weeks later...

The communal family will gather next Saturday the 11th, for dinner and Arthur Miller. As the parents have purchased the theatre tickets, and we're getting dinner, we'd like to make it something special. I know the folks will be parking on   42nd b/w 9th and 10th, and worry that Grand Sichuan will be too far, Any suggestions?

i havent beent to sapphire in over a year, but the last time i went i had a great meal, and super service. at that time they also had a good wine list w/sommelier-a first in indian restaurants. his name is sunni, and the guy loves wine and indian food + understands what tastes go together best. try it,i hope u have a good experience.

There's Esca, which is very near where they will be parking (43rd and 9th).  I found the crudo there to be exceptionally good.  The rest of the menu is quite nice too, with an emphasis on seafood.

I had lunch at Blue Fin last week, which is at Broadway/47th.  It's very sceney, which may not be great for the parents, but the fish was quite good.  Esca is the superior restaurant for food, but can be a tough reservation in my experience.

I've not been to Marseille (9th/44th), but have heard good things.  Same goes for hell's Kitchen, up 9th Avenue near 47th.

as long as you didn't got to rosa mexicano, i'll be happy.  

did you get a chance to rent that movie that came out about 3 yrs ago?  it's called "when really good east side restaurants go horribly effing wrong near lincoln center", or something like that.

"special"?  take a 10 block cab ride to jean georges.

"interesting and fun?", try this place (click me)

should i be proud that i'm the only egulleteer that has been here over and over and enjoy it massive?  perhaps.  should i stop telling you tools about it so i's can keep it to myself?  we see.

don't be stupid all of your life people.  listen to tommy every now and again.  (glenn, did i make a ninny out of myself just then?)

as long as you didn't got to rosa mexicano, i'll be happy.

I'm more of a ruby foo's type.

did you get a chance to rent that movie that came out about 3 yrs ago?  it's called "when really good east side restaurants go horribly effing wrong near lincoln center", or something like that.

Hey tommy, i think maybe those cookies that you eat are laced with a little too much strychnine.   Not to get nit picky, but last I heard Lincoln Center was still on the west side.  Can't imagine what movie you're talking about...

So we got bway tiks again today, 5 PM show.. anyplace good open around 3 pm?