• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre Theater Dinner Near Times Square

Casey

We're taking a group of 12 to The Lion King on Broadway for a Saturday matinee. My wife and I enjoy refined restaurants, but I don't think this crowd would enjoy it. 

We tried to book Carmine's, Tony's DiNapoli and Becco, but they were all booked. We're surprised, it's 2 weeks from now, but maybe tables for 12 are limited.

We'd like to stay within walking distance of 45thStreet. Any other ideas?

When I went to The Lion King, way back when, we ducked into Cafe Un Deux Trois afterwards. It's been a couple of years, so maybe a local can update, but it was good ol' bistro food in a very swell room -- less glitzy and a lot more real (was an old hotel lobby, they told me) than in the internet photo. Who doesn't love steak frites?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 1 year later...

It's been quite some time since anyone posted to this thread. I'm thinking of trying to book a 7:30 dinner for two at Roberto Passon tomorrow (well, technically, later today, though I realize it may well be impossible to get a reservation at such short notice), based on mainly positive press for the place on Chowhound, but I'd love some feedback from some of you. My girlfriend's other idea is to go to a Thai restaurant that has a secret Thai menu that she's tried (sorry, I don't remember the name of the place).

Michael aka "Pan"

OpenTable.com shows that Robert Passon has availability, you should be OK, as 7:30pm seems rather late for a pre-theatre dinner. (I haven't been.)

I think your girlfriend is interested in Wondee Siam's "Secret Thai Menu"?

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

OpenTable.com shows that Robert Passon has availability, you should be OK, as 7:30pm seems rather late for a pre-theatre dinner. (I haven't been.)

I think your girlfriend is interested in Wondee Siam's "Secret Thai Menu"?

Yea, it's Wondee. If you want authentic, Pam edges them out I fee. I have a strong feeling (though I haven’t seen it) most or all of that special menu is on Pam’s regular. And like Wondee, both provide zero atmosphere. And you can be C-town rushed. I had a few surprisingly nice meals at Breeze (French-Thai fusion) on 9th and 45th. All the apps are fine esp mushroom dumplings and crab summer roll. Chef specials, braised beef and duck I can remember were done really well. And it’s modern, fun and they have a nice sound system. “Tiny” is similar but smaller and the food not as good.

That wasn't chicken

I like Pam's Real Thai but don't think I want to go there tonight.

I guess you like Passon, Kathryn? I'll see what I can do. Their menu looked inexpensive and somewhat interesting.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

So, we are looking for dinner recomendations in and around the theatre district. Cuisines of interest include Italian, American, and Seafood - please no Greek, Chinese, Japanese, French, or Mexican. Looking for good quality food for a nice evening out before a broadway show.

Thanks!

So, we are looking for dinner recomendations in and around the theatre district. Cuisines of interest include Italian, American, and Seafood - please no Greek, Chinese, Japanese, French, or Mexican. Looking for good quality food for a nice evening out before a broadway show.

Insieme.