• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

whoopee pie filling

coastie

Anyone have a good recipe for whoopee pie filling. The recipes I find are shortening whipped with 10X. My taste memory is of a marshmallow like filling.

I've been playing with egg whites and sugar cooked and beaten. Tried stabalizing with both cream of tartar and also a little gelatin ( gelatin had most promise)

Still experimenting - taste and consistency are right........shelf life is nill. "merangue" cracks on outside and is unsightly after a few hours. I'm hoping to hold in display case for 2 days due to my baking cycle...

Anyone??? thanks

Edited by coastie (log)

Anyone have a good recipe for whoopee pie filling. The recipes I find are shortening whipped with 10X.  My taste memory is of a marshmallow like filling.

I've been playing with  egg whites and sugar cooked and beaten. Tried stabalizing with both cream of tartar and also a little gelatin ( gelatin had most promise)

Still experimenting - taste and consistency are right........shelf life is nill. "merangue" cracks on outside and is unsightly after a few hours. I'm hoping to hold in display case for 2 days due to my baking cycle...

Anyone??? thanks

Try a 7 minute frosting, that sounds like what you are looking for.

Whoopie Pie Filling

1 C. Crisco

7 oz. jar marshmallow cream

2-3 tsp. vanilla, to taste

3 C. powdered sugar

dash of salt

Up to 5 Tbsp. milk added a little at a time

Cream together the Crisco, marshmallow cream, vanilla, salt and about 1 C. of the powdered sugar. With mixer running, gradually add in the rest of the powdered sugar, then the milk. Turn mixer on high and mix until fluffy; 7-10 minutes, or so.

Di

Edited by DiH (log)

I'm not sure what a Whoopie pie is exactly, but for a recent staff party we made fake Joe Louis. We just used a chocolate chiffon cake and a vanilla bean buttercream made from Italian meringue, then dipped the cake sandwiches in chocolate. It's amazing how much our nice cakes with real buttercream tasted like the cheap cakes from the store. Must be all the chemicals they're loaded with!

Chocolate Chiffon Cake

1/4 cup cocoa

1/2 cup boiling water > dissolve

3/4 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt > combine in mixing bowl

4 egg yolks

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup corn oil > combine in measuring cup

4 egg whites

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar > whip and set aside

Stir egg yolk mixture into dry ingredients and add cocoa mixture and combine thoroughly with a whisk to blend ingredients well.

Fold egg whites through gently but thoroughly enough that mixture has no streaks. Sheet batter into a silpat or parchment lined half sheet pan.

The instructions I have say bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes but I have no idea how long I actually bake this cake for at work because I usually do 2 full sheet pans and we never change the oven temp .....it stays at bread temperature all day so we bake pastries by placement in the oven (i.e. bottom decks are least hot, higher ones are hotter etc.)

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Here's a recipe that doesn't use Crisco (from my web site, so I'm not breaking copyright laws):

Chocolate Whoopie Pies

(Makes about 30 sandwiched cookies)

Pennsylvania, where I live, is noted for the Pennsylvania Dutch influence in its food. At many of the farmers’ markets throughout the state Amish and Mennonite stalls offer home baked goods that have become synonymous with Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. One of the baked items that you can always find is the Whoopie Pie. It is a cake like, soft cookie that comes in a small variety of flavors and is sandwiched with a “cream” filling. My family has a joke that these yummy cookies got their name because whenever they were made, the baker’s family would yell “whoopie!” This is an adaptation of the traditional Chocolate Whoopie Pie.

2 cups granulated sugar

1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature

2 eggs, graded large, at room temperature

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 cup cocoa

4 cups all purpose flour, bleached

1 cup sour cream

1 cup warm water

Fluffy Cream Filling (recipe below)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and arrange the oven racks so they divide the oven into thirds. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Set up your mise en place. (See the Helpful Hints section of this web site.) First make the cookie batter: Using an electric mixer beat the sugar and the butter on high speed until fluffy and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, baking soda, salt, vanilla and cocoa and beat on medium for about 1 minute, until completely mixed and creamy. Add 2 cups of the flour and beat on low speed until it is well blended. Add the sour cream and blend well on low speed, then scrape the mixer bowl well and add the remaining 2 cups of flour and beat on low speed just until it is mixed in. Scrape the bowl again and add the water, mixing on low speed or stirring with a spatula or spoon, until the batter is smooth and evenly blended. The batter will be very soft, but that is how it is supposed to be, so don’t worry.

Using a #30 dough scoop, or a 2-tablespoon measure, drop the batter onto the parchment lined baking sheets, leaving three inches between each cookie. Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, reversing the pans halfway through the baking time. The cookies are done when your finger doesn’t leave an indentation when you lightly touch the cookies.

Remove the pans from the oven and set them on wire racks to cool. Do not remove the cookies until they are completely cool. Carefully pull the cooled cookies from the baking sheets when you are ready to fill them with the Fluffy Cream Filling.

Place half of the cookies upside down on your work surface and place a heaping spoonful of filling on each cookie, adjusting the amount so that all of the cookies get about the same amount of filling. When this is done, spread the filling so that it comes to the edge of each cookie, and then cover them with the other half of the cookies.

Whoopie Pies will keep, well covered, for a few days at room temperature or for 5 or 6 days refrigerated.

Fluffy Cream Filling (or Frosting)

2 egg whites, graded large

4 cups confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar) divided into 2 equal parts

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

1 cup unsalted butter, very soft but not melted

Set up your mise en place. (See the Helpful Hints section of this web site.) Beat the egg whites with 2 cups of the powdered sugar, using a mixer on high speed, until the mixture is very white and shiny and holds a stiff peak when the beater is removed. This will take about 5 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat just until it is blended in. Scrape the bowl and add the butter in four parts, beating well after each addition. When all of the butter has been added, scrape the bowl again and add the remaining 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating on high speed until the mixture is completely blended and smooth.

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

• 3 years later...

Just following up a mention in the Daily Sweets topic...whether Whoopie Pie obsession is something you can share or not!

I first discovered Whoopie Pies about 10-15 years ago, when wondering what to do with a glut of pumpkin. Since then, I've made them with persimmon, carrot, molasses, spices, chocolate...and decided that while I love how cheap they are to make, I'm not a fan of chocolate Whoopie Pies. I think they are best with old-fashioned strong flavors like pumpkin or molasses, especially if you want to fill them. If you are OK with chewy and soft rather than crisp/soft, you can reduce the extreme amounts of sugar found in some recipes.

Filling...cream cheese or something with a tang, plus lemon or orange zest. But I really prefer them one at a time, unfilled!

Seems to me that end-of-season sweet potatoes should make a good whoopie pie and/of filling, especially if the raw sweet potato chunks are soaked in cold water before cooking, so that they have a nice, bright color.

And if there was ever a recipe that asked to be Japanified with solid country stuff like azuki beans, black sesame, tofu, kinako, and black sugar, whoopie pie must be it.