• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Market in Ay

jelainemiller

I'm going to be in the Champagne region next month for just a couple of days. I heard there's a market on Fridays in Ay. Has anyone ever been there? Is it worth a stop? I've never been to the region before and a market might be just the place to soak up some of the local flavor, no?

Any other suggestions for a "locals place"? I'm taking the train in to Reims and staying in Etoges, so anywhere between those two points is fair game.

Cheers,

JEM

Cheers,

JEM

I was waiting for someone who'd actually been to Ay to weigh in, but since no one has let me second ptipois and say that I can't imagine being in a French town on market day and not going. There's always something, even in the off season. Good bread and local cheese, maybe, or oysters you can bring back to your hotel room and feast on, alnog with all that champagne you bought. Or maybe just a market basket souvenir for a friend -- and one for yourself.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Hope I'm not too late.

We were there last Christmas week (not a few months ago, but the previous year).

The market in Ay was very tiny.

However, remember this is the week between Christmas and New Year's, everything is closed, and there was snow to boot!

So...

There was a really good restaurant in Epernay, however. Wish I could remember the name.

Not at Les Berceaux, not the Grill Room...hmmm. Maybe I'll have a chance to look at my notes before you go.

Philly Francophiles

Hope I'm not too late.

We were there last Christmas week (not a few months ago, but the previous year).

The market in Ay was very tiny.

However, remember this is the week between Christmas and New Year's, everything is closed, and there was snow to boot!

So...

There was a really good restaurant in Epernay, however. Wish I could remember the name.

Not at Les Berceaux, not the Grill Room...hmmm. Maybe I'll have a chance to look at my notes before you go.

Not at all! We're not leaving until mid-March. In the Epernay area, I've looked at La Table Kobus and Le Vieux Puits (Ay). Are either of these the one you were thinking of?

Cheers,

JEM

Cave au Champagne (restaurant)-right in the middle of Epernay.

16 rue Gambetta F

Epernay

la-cave-a-champagne.com

Try the Pierre Peters champagne. The best I've EVER had. 17euros. They don't import to the states. I don't believe you can even buy it anywhere in Champagne, so we drove to the town: Mesnil-sur-oger- (Salon champagne is also there) to buy some, and they were closed, and the guy waved us away. Merde.

Not a fancy restaurant, but very nice.

Didn't go to the ones in Ay you mentioned, mostly all the good ones were closed the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Mareuil-sur-Ay, which is the little town outside of Ay, is where we stayed, at Guy Charbaut. It's an actual champagne house, with a little B&B attached. You get a champagne tour when you stay there... A bit like "Fawlty Towers", but still good. Some friends stayed in the same town in a gorgeous big old house B&B. Lamarotiere.com. Their place was really nice, and very reasonable off season. Big rooms.

Champagne Heimat (sp?), right in Ay, on the road between Epernay and Ay. Very good. Stopped for a tasting and it was delicious. Much better than the big champagne houses we visited.

Philly Francophiles

• 3 months later...