• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Destin/Ft. Walton Restaurants: Recs & Reviews

Susan in FL

We are in need of some updated information on eating in and around Destin and Fort Walton Beach. ...Any recent openings of good restaurants, closings, changes, old favorites unchanged, reviews, recommendations?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

yes, Susan, that was the wrap on them, even @ that, they had quit brewing their own beer long time before they closed, Circa 2001, iIrc...will post more on restaurants in FWB...many have great food, but not the waiting of Destin restaurants

Edited by Bolivar Petit Corona (log)

Buffalo's Reef

is where the local go for wings...the charcoal broiled hamburgers & everything else they serve is mouthwatering, except for the fried pickles, which are spears, rather than chips...

more to follow, as time allows, couple of links, for now:

Lucky Snapper, Destin haven't been there, myself, but my friends swear by it

AJ's Destin food pretty good & outdoor atmosphere is great :cool:

Fudpuckers I've only been to the one on Santa Rosa Island, but the food was good, atmosphere, shall I say, interesting...

The Crab Trap on the Boardwalk FWB & one in Destin at James Lee Park

Beach View, Decent Seafood

Hightide Restaurant & Lounge

just over the bridge on to Okaloosa Island

good fried shrimp, I'm told the locals like it

Thai Saree on the way to Eglin AFB from FWB; haven't been there but, I told the Thai food is authentic, not same as Chinese like most American "Thai" restaurants serve

The Crab Trap on the Boardwalk FWB & one in Destin at James Lee Park

Beach View, Decent Seafood

Hightide Restaurant & Lounge

just over the bridge on to Okaloosa Island

good fried shrimp, I'm told the locals like it

Thai Saree on the way to Eglin AFB from FWB; haven't been there but, I told the Thai food is authentic, not same as Chinese like most American "Thai" restaurants serve

having lived there for many years, the locals do not always have the most discriminating tastes. If it is fried then it must be good. yee haa.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Many thanks for your many posts, BPC! Which ones come most highly recommended by those "in the know" about good food? Is there an upscale restaurant in the area that you think is best?

Susan, although I've dined in some of the finest restaurants in Europe: London, Berlin & Vienna, I'm not much on up-scale...sorry.

I just like a BIG piece of char GRILLED Grouper, or Amberjack, with maybe a few boiled shrimp as an appetiser.

I'll provide my own rum & cigars (the best in the world) for after dinner.

How about places with fresh local seafood?

or anything else special about the area--local produce, unique recipes, house made salad dressings and deserts?

An upscale option sounds great, but we're not particularly looking for anything fancy unless it's also really good.

we don't want to dress up for the same seared ahi you get all over the world. :rolleyes:

We'll be visiting from southern california, so we're not dying for sushi, pretty plates, barely cooked vegetables, or mexican food. But on the other hand, that's what we're used to, so after a few days of "everything battered, fried, and covered in sauce" we really want something like the grilled grouper mentioned above. Especially if the battered items come frozen from national distributors.

Also, we're driving over from N.O., so if anyone knows where to get great gulf shrimp on the way, if they still exist, that would be a huge treat!

Edited by martha (log)

martha, on the way is the Original Oyster House, Mobile, just off I-10, overlooking Mobile Bay, and the USS Alabama Battleship:

http://www.originaloysterhouse.com/

depending on when you come, Peg Leg Pete's:

http://www.peglegpetes.com/

may be reopened on Pensacola Beach (Scheduled to reopen May 2005, I'm not holdin' my breath), great grilled Grouper sandwich, they also have Fresh Gulf Coast Shrimp...& IF the Gulf Islands National Seashore is reopened between P'cola & Navarre :cool: Beaches, it is a must drive...we do it every year on the way & sometimes on the way back...latest on the road reopening was August or September 2005:

http://www.nps.gov/guis/

Susan, although I've dined in some of the finest restaurants in Europe: London, Berlin & Vienna, I'm not much on up-scale...sorry.

No problem. :smile:

I'll provide my own rum & cigars (the best in the world) for after dinner.

Now Rum... that's a different story. Please let me know if any FL restaurants north of Miami have a good selection of fine rums! ...Or any that know how to make a real good Mojito, for that matter!

for the Mojito one must have the proper ingredient:

HAVANA CLUB AÑEJO BLANCO

LCBO 633693 | 1140 mL bottle

Price: $ 32.35 (Canadian Dollar$)

Spirits, Rum, White Rum

40.0% Alcohol/Vol.

Made in: Cuba, Cuba

By: HAVANA CLUB INTERNATIONAL S.A.

Tasting Note

Clear with green hues; Gentle aromas of molasses with light vanilla and dried herb notes; Warm, rich textured on the palate with caramel nuances; Long delicate finish.

Serving Suggestion

In your favourite cocktail; Mojito

But, there is a good selection of Rum @ Food World Liquors in Mary Esther...so I buy my own, who wants to order expensive drinks & be served Bacardi?

martha, then, I'd try stopping in Mobile, food is great & you won't waste much time getting off & back on I-10...

great dates, too, traffic can sometimes be congested on Sunday returns West to NO @ Mobile, because the tunnel is only 2 lane...

remember, Eastbound on I-10, just East of Pensacola is 1 lane (remember, the bridge went in Escambia Bay), so be careful...

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/ for photos of bridge down

if you're going to FWB, you can save some time taking the Garcon Point Toll Bridge...it's fairly new, so if it's not on your map, stop @ the Florida welcome station for a new map

The trip will be May 19-25.

Some places in San Diego think a mojito has sprite in it.  and vodka.

sounds like you will have to give lessons when you get back from your trip :laugh:

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 2 weeks later...