• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sweet and Savory

I just had breakfast at Sweet and Savory this morning and want to reaffirm it is one of the finest little bakeries in the city. I had a moist coffee cake with the most wonderful, crunchy streusel topping. For lunch I bought one of Cynthia's roasted asparagus and gruyere on bagel sandwiches (yes, she makes bagels & they're the best I've had in Seattle). It was superb.

A few weeks ago she made another Jewish delicacy, rugelach, which also captured the best of this supreme Jewish comfort food. Tomorrow Cynthia's baking cupcakes. If you haven't had one, you owe it to youself to go there & try one.

One of the nicest aspects of the bakery is that it's a sweet little shop in a nice, cozy Seattle neighborhood. When you enter you get a nice smile & welcome from the staff.

I've reviewed Sweet & Savory at my food blog as has Seattle Bon Vivant.

1418 31st Avenue South (Mt. Baker)

206 325-2900.

Edited by richards1052 (log)

I too was excited after seeing the Bon Vivant photos, and so I was very surprised to actually go there and see that they only have one teeny counter top pastry case. I wonder if the BV photos were taken over many visits, or maybe they got there at the crack of dawn when there was a decent selection. There was hardly anything in the case when I went. I got a so-so pain au chocolate (the only sweet thing left) and a so-so BLT. This may be a great place to live near, so that you can pop in and see what they have if you are walking by anyway, but I won't be driving across town for it again.

I too was excited after seeing the Bon Vivant photos, and so I was very surprised to actually go there and see that they only have one teeny counter top pastry case. There was hardly anything in the case when I went. I got a so-so pain au chocolate (the only sweet thing left) and a so-so BLT. This may be a great place to live near, so that you can pop in and see what they have if you are walking by anyway, but I won't be driving across town for it again.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I've had the pain au chocolat many times & love it. The chocolate is rich & dense & the pastry dough just the right flakiness. I bought one of the BLTs today but won't eat it till tomorrow so I can't tell you how I liked that. I've had many of her sandwiches & liked almost every one.

You seem not to have bought the cupcakes which, unless you don't like cupcakes or they were out, was unfortunate. Today, they were chocolate with chocolate icing & a chocolate mint on top. Mmmmm.

As I wrote in my original post in this thread, it's a cozy little shop. It's just a storefront. I'm not sure what you expected. But it's not a big place. Also, there's the owner who bakes & only two assistants. This isn't Macrina or Dahlia. It's a very personal shop.

The place is also only open till 2 PM. The best time to get there for a good selection is the morning (even late morning is OK). If you get there much after lunch time things will go. After all, that's almost the end of their selling day.

If you'd gotten there earlier you might've found coffee cake, apple tart, chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, croissants, lemon tart & other items. There's also a homemade soup.

• 2 weeks later...

No cupcakes-they only had the single pain au choc left. But it wouldn't have mattered-I was excited going there because I'd heard about her French training, and I'd seen the BV photos of little tarts and less common items, and I was hoping for an actual French style bakery, not cookies, cupcakes or coffee cake.

No cupcakes-they only had the single pain au choc left. But it wouldn't have mattered-I was excited going there because I'd heard about her French training, and I'd seen the BV photos of little tarts and less common items, and I was hoping for an actual French style bakery, not cookies, cupcakes or coffee cake.

She doesn't do cupcakes every day. But the staff told me that if you want to place an order (like for a birthday party) she might do them special. Sorry if it wasn't what you expected. I first came across her at the U. District Farmer's Market before I knew anything about her training & was bowled over. I guess sometimes these things are influenced by our expectations.