• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hershel's Deli

rlibkind

I tried the corned beef sandwich this weekend (I usually stick to pastrami, but ya gotta branch out in the name of science). Alas, although it had decent flavor, it was overcooked and arrived on the very good rye bread in a mostly shredded state. The few visible slices indicated it was sliced correctly, however, across the grain.

I still like Hershel's. And as I said a week ago, they've got a show going on. But they need to attain consistency and then take it to the next level. I remain optimistic that with time and the attention its owners appear dedicated to devote, they'll get there. After all, they've barely been open a month.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I stopped by Hershel's while I was shopping at RTM for this week's groceries today and had a nice chat with Steven, the friendly proprietor. He was speaking with the head of Engineering from RTM and complaining he didn't have enough cooking space. Hershel's problem is that they can't keep up with demand! The stand is selling out of pastrami by 1 or 2PM on the weekends. They're working on keeping up with demand but scrupulously maintaining quality. That's a heck of a problem to have for a new business. Seems they're doing well and I now understand why.

I got a nice little taste of the brisket, the corned beef and a tiny scrap of the pastrami which was totally sold out. Everything was delicious and tasted just as is ought to have. The brisket was particularly moist and the spices in the corned beef and pastrami were nostalgically correct and making me dream of Katz' Deli. I don't think I'll have to drive so far anymore. I'll just have to get there a little earlier in the day.

I wish Steven and his partner the best of luck with Hershel's. They're obviously doing something right because every single person in line was raving about their sandwich.

And for whomever asked, there is definitely chopped liver. I overheard someone paying for a chopped liver sandwich while I was chatting with Steven.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

And for whomever asked, there is definitely chopped liver.  I overheard someone paying for a chopped liver sandwich while I was chatting with Steven.

Yeah! Yet another reason for me to stop by when I'm next at the RTM but then these descriptions of pastrami, corned beef and brisket sound so good... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

And for whomever asked, there is definitely chopped liver.  I overheard someone paying for a chopped liver sandwich while I was chatting with Steven.

Yeah! Yet another reason for me to stop by when I'm next at the RTM but then these descriptions of pastrami, corned beef and brisket sound so good... :smile:

And what to do with all that newfound free time now that trips to Katz's have been curtailed? Really what we had there Saturday was just as good, and the market setting beats the heck out of Houston St!

Good Luck Hershel's!

I can't wait to stop by. For a little while I worked at Jake's Deli in Milwaukee. I have never had a better sandwich in my life. Hand-sliced corned beef that is cooked in-house on rye with mustard and a pickle. It will honestly be hard to beat the memory of that sandwich but i'll give you a fair shake.

here's a link with some nice foodie pics:

Jake's Deli - Milwaukee Wisconsin

--

matt o'hara

finding philly

I can't wait to stop by.  For a little while I worked at Jake's Deli in Milwaukee.  I have never had a better sandwich in my life.  Hand-sliced corned beef that is cooked in-house on rye with mustard and a pickle.  It will honestly be hard to beat the memory of that sandwich but i'll give you a fair shake.

Well, if it helps at all, Hershel's is also cooked in-house and served on rye with mustard and a pickle. :laugh:

__Jason

nice! i'm going tomorrow.

and should the subtitle of this post be changed?  how about 'auspicious start for new RTM stall!' ?

Another option might be: Herschel's Deli: New RTM Stall

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hershels has BIALY"S!!!

Real bialy's not like the dreck that everyone else has... A Bially tosted well, butter on one side, scallion cream cheese on the other, some baked salmon, a squeeze of lemon, a slice pf jarlsberg and a leaf of boston lettuce = one of the most perfect breakfast sandwichs- ever

..THANK you Herschels. I no longer have to schlep from kossars when i'm in the city,.

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise