• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Banned Foods

hhlodesign

This might not be quite what you are after but peanut butter is banned extensively at schools and prisons.

edit to add: schools for allergies and prisons because people hide things in it.

N.

Edited by natasha1270 (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

What's that Iberian ham that's only just this past year been allowed into the country?

Expensive but delicious.

Oh yeah, Serrano Iberico, I think.

Chocolate was reserved for use as food only by the king in pre-Columbian Mexico, so Mexican-style hot chocolate with chilies and cornmeal (the way Montezuma drank it) could be good.

I'm sure there's tons of stuff like that, for example, swan.

It would be really cool (or perhaps really cruel) if you could get ortolans.

Then there's that shark's fin soup that Amazon.com has been pressured into pulling from their website.

Can you get the salak fruit in Canada? I know it's one of the things you're not supposed to bring into the country.

Your dinner sounds like fun.

What's that Iberian ham that's only just this past year been allowed into the country?

Expensive but delicious.

Oh yeah, Serrano Iberico, I think.

Chocolate was reserved for use as food only by the king in pre-Columbian Mexico, so Mexican-style hot chocolate with chilies and cornmeal (the way Montezuma drank it) could be good.

I'm sure there's tons of stuff like that, for example, swan.

It would be really cool (or perhaps really cruel) if you could get ortolans.

Then there's that shark's fin soup that Amazon.com has been pressured into pulling from their website.

Can you get the salak fruit in Canada? I know it's one of the things you're not supposed to bring into the country.

Your dinner sounds like fun.

After reading this, I did some research. It turns out that Serrano Ham was banned from export from Spain until 1990. Since I love this stuff, it will definatley make the menu. I also love the Mexican chocolate idea (as I'm sure Lorna will as well!) Looks like we have a dessert.

I thought of ortolan, but I think we'd be crossing the line of good taste (figuratively.) Plus it would be hard to procure.

We are leaning towards Matsusaka Beef for the main course. I'm not sure about the banning and import laws pertaining to Kobe and Matsusaka Beef. We have a friend travelling to Japan in a few weeks and has promised to smuggle some back for us. He says it goes for as much as $1 US a gram. I'm not sure why its not availible in the US as real Wagyu from Kobe most definately is. Anyone with info on this?

In The Devil's Picnic: Travels Through the Underworld of Food and Drink (2005) by Taras Grescoe (something I'm in the middle of reading so I don't have extensive details to hand...) he spends a year looking for forbidden/banned/highly frowned upon ingrediants to make a forbidden meal. Some of the items are forbidden by EU regulations, others are a smattering of items from across the world. They are as follows:

1. Hjemmebrent (Norwegian moonshine)

2. Poppy seed crackers (low level opiate)

3. Epoisses (raw milk cheese)

4. Criadillas (cooked bull testicals)

5. Cuban cohibas (for a smoke break)

6. Absinthe

7. Chocolat Mousseux (chocolate had once been banned in parts of France)

8. Mate de Coca (tea made from coca leaves)

9. Sodium Pentobarbital for having one REALLY last drink

Not that I would recommend all of the above for consumption at your party...

-Rinsewind

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

markk started a topic about buying a juice that a contained banned colouring agent.  Can't remember what it was, but the juice sounded good!

It was "sour cherry" juice. Or, "Sour Cherry Juice with Carcinogens".

I have two cartons of it I could sell you.anin-icon_lol.gif

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

It was "sour cherry" juice.  Or, "Sour Cherry Juice with Carcinogens".

I have two cartons of it I could sell you.anin-icon_lol.gif

But then you'd be breaking the law by selling a product containing a banned substance! :shock::biggrin:

Sour cherry juice...one could do a lot with that in either a sweet or savoury dish. If, that is, one doesn't mind the very very distant possibility of getting cancer from a one-time use of it... :laugh:

Szechuan peppercorns, and red M&Ms. From wikipedia:

The candies were originally made in six colors: red, orange, yellow, green, brown, and violet.... Red was eliminated in 1976[1] because of health concerns about the red dye amaranth (FD&C Red #2), a suspected carcinogen. Despite the fact that M&M's did not contain the dye, red M&M's were removed to satisfy worried consumers. By 1987, the public had forgotten the scare, and the red candies were reintroduced. They currently contain Allura red AC (FD&C Red #40).
Edited by jm chen (log)

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media