• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are you a supertaster?

Forest

The BBC Science and Nature website has a 5 question test that tells you if you are a normal, non or supertaster.  Five questions doesn't really seem like enough to go on, but it's here for the curious.

hmmm, interesting Forest, if brief....first time I've been called normal for ages :smile:

The BBC Science and Nature website has a 5 question test that tells you if you are a normal, non or supertaster.  Five questions doesn't really seem like enough to go on, but it's here for the curious.

hmmm, interesting Forest, if brief....first time I've been called normal for ages :smile:

Well, they called me "normal" too. The thing must be broken! :wink:

Well, they called me "normal" too. The thing must be broken! :wink:

:smile: Well, they called me super, but after staring at my tongue in the mirror and trying to count the little taste buds (and based on my eating likes/dislikes) I'm pretty sure I am just plain normal! So you might be right!

Kind of odd set of questions to bring me to the result: how can they know from the fact that I like to smell my food before I eat it that I have a higher number of tastebuds?

Seems rather strange to me.

Me too....thought it was interesting, but not sure on the real validity of it.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Hey

I am Super so this must all be true :biggrin:

I always try to smell my food first ...used to eat at the school cafeteria

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Supertasters "Usually don't like coffee, grapefruit, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and spinach."

Glad to be normal.

Odd little quiz but they got it right.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

They claim I'm a supertaster, but I enjoy all of the supposedly detested list of foods.  It's a dumb test - they're asking ambiance questions about what's a purely physiological state.

I'm with you Abra. Supertaster who loves coffee, brussel sprouts, spinach, grapefruit etc.

The test seemed to be more about restaurant issues and etiquette, than taste.

They claim I'm a supertaster, but I enjoy all of the supposedly detested list of foods.  It's a dumb test - they're asking ambiance questions about what's a purely physiological state.

I'm with you Abra. Supertaster who loves coffee, brussel sprouts, spinach, grapefruit etc.

same here

They claim I'm a supertaster, but I enjoy all of the supposedly detested list of foods.

Ditto.

But for most of the questions, none of the answers really fit me. I do love an outdoor patio but don't care about elegance and mirrors. etc etc

I'm supposedly a supertaster, too. But the description of a supertaster doesn't match me at all. I love all sorts of cuisines, like my coffee black and strong, enjoy spinach, grapefruit, cabbage, and brussel sprouts.

I do, I think, have a better than average sniffer, and am unusually good at discerning spices, kinds of cheeses, etc. But, nonetheless, silly test.

I'm supposedly a supertaster, too.  But the description of a supertaster doesn't match me at all.  I love all sorts of cuisines, like my coffee black and strong, enjoy spinach, grapefruit, cabbage, and brussel sprouts.

I do, I think, have a better than average sniffer, and am unusually good at discerning spices, kinds of cheeses, etc.  But, nonetheless, silly test.

I have a particularly sensitive sense of smell, too. I wonder if that is a more determining factor of being a "supertaster" than disliking notoriously bitter foods.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

im normal, but I smell my food ALL THE TIME..kind of embarassing really

am I the only one whos a little said that they aren't a super taster? I want to be in the upper echelon with all of you guys

I was a little disappointed that I wasn't a supertaster, but if it means that I:

-Tend to be fussy about their food and have strong food likes and dislikes

-Usually don't like coffee, grapefruit, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and spinach

then I'm quite happy that I'm normal.

Silly little quiz.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

same here

and here! :smile:

Another "normal" taste here. For once, I'm glad to be "normal"!

It would appear that from the way the definition is structured, a "supertaster" is not someone who is more into the fine nuances of food, but someone who is super-sensitive to what s/he perceives as objectionable tastes in foods (mostly strong or bitter flavors).

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs