• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Food in Austin

Peppertrail

On a recent visit to Austin our friends treated us to an excellent dinner at Bombay Bistro. Both food and service were very good.

Honestly, after several disappointing experiences at various Indian restaurants in the DFW area I was somewhat skeptical as we walked into this restaurant located in a strip-center. It only took a minute for me to change my opinion. I was impressed with the clean and uncluttered look of the place. There was no mingled aroma of spices and fried onions lingering in the air. The tables were neatly set with clean cutlery and cloth napkins.

The menu featured typical Indian restaurant dishes along with several not so typical but authentic dishes. The menu contained mostly northern Indian dishes, along with a few southern Indian specials. The wine and beer list was quite long, and also contained some interesting mixed drinks under the title "magic potions". They had some interesting names - Bombay margarita, Jaipur Royale, East India Company and so on. My husband ordered a Bombay Blues- infused Bombay sapphire gin dirty martini with jalapeno stuffed olives. A martini with a hint of jalapeno heat.- a perfect combination- was his verdict.

We ordered several dishes and shared. The curry dishes came with servings of rice. Kerala shrimp curry was the favorite at our table. Chicken vindaloo was quite spicy as the name vindaloo suggests; flavors of spices were well balanced and it was cooked just perfect. The tikka masala was good too, but the chicken pieces were not as tender as in the vindaloo. We also ordered Methi aloo, a mildly spiced vegetable dish made with fenugreek leaves and potatoes; a dish you don't usually see in a restaurant menu. I had tasted some excellent version of this dish at the homes of my Gujarathi friends. Bombay-Bistro's version was equally good with subtle seasoning and no excess oil. We enjoyed it with paneer kulcha and naan. We were so full, we did not order any dessert or tea or coffee.

Will certainly go back there the next time we are in Austin. I certainly hope they would open a branch in the Dallas area.

Menus and directions are on their website bombay-bristro.com.

Ammini Ramachandran

www.Peppertrail.com

• 6 months later...
Kent Wang: I usually go to the excelelnt Mexcian restaurants when I am in Austin. This was my first visit to an Indian restaurant there.

In Indian cuisine meats are usually cut into smaller portions and well cooked.

Last night, we ate a Chola's Indian Restaurant in Round Rock. It's in a strip mall, wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary. I had chicken curry, saag paneer, and a mixed veg dish that I can't recall the name. My husband had lamb. We were both pleasantly surprised. The meat was tender, the sauces spicy and well balanced. Honestly the best saag paneer I've ever had. I could fill my bathtub with it and be happy. Also had a popping mint chutney that thrilled. Naan was good, but it's hard to make that badly.

I'm not much of an expert on Indian cuisine but I do find this place a better value than Clay Pit. A lot of the meats are a little overcooked though, especially chicken, but I find that very common with Indian restaurants.

I agree - I'm not a big fan of the Clay Pit. It's not bad, but mediocre. I think it attains its hype level strictly on the merit of it's location.

One place I do like is Sar-o-Var on Burnett, just south of 183. It's in a strip center on the west side of the road. I've eaten there 3 or 4 times this year and have always been satisfied.

There's another place on Anderson, in strip mall adjoining the Alamo Drafthouse. I don't remember the name, but had the lunch buffet there a few weeks back. It's passable, but not a destination.

Sadly, I've not found a place on the south/soutwest side of town, where I live and work. If you have recommendations, speak up!

(One place I do like is Sar-o-Var on Burnett, just south of 183. It's in a strip center on the west side of the road. I've eaten there 3 or 4 times this year and have always been satisfied. )

We haven't been in a while, but always liked Sar-O-Var also. I tend to call it Sam-o-Var for some reason. Friendly service, and they were so nice the first few times helping me with names and choices.

Another lunch place I really dig is Taj Palace. The buffet is so busy, the food never sits long. Sometimes the tandoori chicken is a little dry, but they have a very nice selection of proteins and vegs. Saag Paneer is spicy, luscious. and the fry spinach. Who wouldn't love a place that fries spinach?!? Great condimentia also.