• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Commercial kitchen rates

sote23

Hi,

I just went and looked at a commercial kitchen and the rates seemed high to me. I was wondering what others paid for use of a commercial kitchen, or any thoughts on the subject. I know it will depend on the location.

they wanted $485 per month which gives you 8 hours a week. If you need more time it's $14.60 an hour up to 11 hours, 12-24 hours brings it down to $13 an hour.

The costs vary by locale. $14.50 per hour doesn't seem like a lot to me. Does that include utilities? Do they give you a locked area to store your equipment and ingredients?

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

$15.00/hour is an average rate in Seattle. Although the kitchen I use recently changed to a daily fee of $60.00 (with hours being when the kitchen is available, so I usually can get in 6-8 hours). This does not include storage in either fridge/freezer/ or shelf space..there is an additional monthly fee for that.

The costs vary by locale. $14.50 per hour doesn't seem like a lot to me. Does that include utilities? Do they give you a locked area to store your equipment and ingredients?

Eileen

they do give a space in the refrigerator and freezer, but there are 6 other bussiness's using it already, so there were lots of stuff in both, and i'm worred about the chocolate picking up all those other flavors. they don't give you a locked area.

I would be fine with a straight $14.50 an hour, but they are already getting $485 and there is no way 8 hours a week is enough.

Eileen

they do give a space in the refrigerator and freezer, but there are 6 other bussiness's using it already, so there were lots of stuff in both, and i'm worred about the chocolate picking up all those other flavors. they don't give you a locked area.

I would be fine with a straight $14.50 an hour, but they are already getting $485 and there is no way 8 hours a week is enough.

What area is the kitchen in?

Eileen

What area is the kitchen in?

in santa cruz

I would go & speak to the churches in the area. You might be able to come to an arrangement with them. You have to work around their needs & emergencies (maybe work through the night at times). You might have to talk to quite a few before you find one. I have this type of arrangement & the price is more than reasonable. It lets me work on getting a business going on a very moderate budget.

Mark

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I would go & speak to the churches in the area. You might be able to come to an arrangement with them. You have to work around their needs & emergencies (maybe work through the night at times). You might have to talk to quite a few before you find one. I have this type of arrangement & the price is more than reasonable. It lets me work on getting a business going on a very moderate budget.

Mark

hi mark,

that is the kind of thing I'm looking for. a loose agreement where you can come and go as you please. the kitchen i looked at yesterday is not like that, they have 6 other businnesses sharing the kitchen, and I would be the 7th.

I'm european so i'm used to staying up very late. i actually prefer working late.

luis

I'm preparing to start using a commercial kitchen March 1st. The gentleman makes tamales and only uses it a few days per week. I met him by chance (regarding another matter) and during conversation this idea came up. I will have two full days (Mon and Tues) that it's mine to use. If I need additional time during the week I can use it during evenings/nights or on Sunday. I will pay $300/month plus 1/3 of utilities. (Only electricity which is usually about $100/month total) I will have my own refrigerator (which I purchased) and my own storage and hopefully I can fit in the used half-size convection oven I just bought. Hopefully all will work out.

I will have two full days (Mon and Tues) that it's mine to use.  If I need additional time during the week I can use it during evenings/nights or on Sunday.  I will pay $300/month plus 1/3 of utilities.  (Only electricity which is usually about $100/month total)

That's a great deal. I wish I can find a deal like that here.

That's a great deal. I wish I can find a deal like that here.

The only problem is that in this area my products won't command the prices that they would there. I'd guess that it probably evens out.

I guess you're correct. What are you going to charge for each piece? The average here is about $2 per truffle/bon bon.

Edited by ChristopherMichael (log)

sounds like a pretty good deal. I am looking on the other side of the Peninsula and Mr. C's in Campbell is charging $350/mo with only 10 hours per month plus $15/hr.

I'm going to be looking at alternatives but that is my backup.

sounds like a pretty good deal. I am looking on the other side of the Peninsula and Mr. C's in Campbell is charging $350/mo with only 10 hours  per month plus $15/hr.

I'm going to be looking at alternatives but that is my backup.

their santa clara facility is $285/month with 10 hours and then $18/hr.

they must make a killing, because ten hours is one day's worth of work in my book...

I guess you're correct. What are you going to charge for each piece? The average here is about $2 per truffle/bon bon.

Actually, I'm not doing chocolates. I'm doing Cakes. Mainly cheesecakes to supply to local businesses (coffee shops, small restaurants, etc.)