• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Loads of citrus

Sararwelch

Honey is a nice flavor to add to grapefruit sorbet. I make a recipe from Bill Neal's "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie" (a great book) that uses about 2 heaping cups of grapefruit supremes, 1/2 cup honey and 1/3-1/2 cup of sugar to taste and 1/2 cup water. I make it with red grapefruits but the recipe suggest yellow as an alternative. It's great with a splash of Campari and/or a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds. I've not tried it, but he recommend chocolate glazed shortbread as a surprisingly good accompaniement.

As a grapefruit fan, I've been intrigued by recipes I've seen for grapefruit upside-down cakes. I don't have a particular one to recommend but there are several recipes on the net.

I love just eating grapefruit and/or oranges as supremes in their own juice. You can process a pretty large amount this way and they will keep for quite a while refrigerated in their own juice.

If you peruse the cocktail forum I think there is a thread on grapefruit cocktails as well. Yellow grapefruits with their often greater acidity as compared to red grapefruits can work very well here. The juice can be frozen as well.

I'd also be tempted to make a grapefruit marmalade or try a grapefruit cordial. grapefruit liqueur

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Honey is a nice flavor to add to grapefruit sorbet.  I make a recipe from Bill Neal's "Biscuits, Spoonbread and Sweet Potato Pie" (a great book) that uses about 2 heaping cups of grapefruit supremes, 1/2 cup honey and 1/3-1/2 cup of sugar to taste and 1/2 cup water.  I make it with red grapefruits but the recipe suggest yellow as an alternative.  It's great with a splash of Campari and/or a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds.  I've not tried it, but he recommend chocolate glazed shortbread as a surprisingly good accompaniement.

As a grapefruit fan, I've been intrigued by recipes I've seen for grapefruit upside-down cakes.  I don't have a particular one to recommend but there are several recipes on the net.

I love just eating grapefruit and/or oranges as supremes in their own juice.  You can process a pretty large amount this way and they will keep for quite a while refrigerated in their own juice.

If you peruse the cocktail forum I think there is a thread on grapefruit cocktails as well. Yellow grapefruits with their often greater acidity as compared to red grapefruits can work very well here.  The juice can be frozen as well. 

I'd also be tempted to make a grapefruit marmalade or try a grapefruit cordial.  grapefruit liqueur

Grapefruit upside down cake sounds really interesting - I will look for a recipe, if I don't see one I may just have to create my own.

Oohh... let us know if you end up trying one and how it turns out. I think I saw a recipe in "Fine Cooking" awhile back but I have no idea in what issue that was.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I'd also be tempted to try this Champagne Grapefruit salad that I bookmarked a while back from Scott Peacock: click

There is no flavored gelatin in sight; just unflavored gelatin, sugar, grapefruits, champagne, orange and lemon zest and lemon juice. I've seen some other nice versions that have ginger ale in them.

One could make a nice naturally flavored orange gelatin dish as well.

Thanks for the photos, sararwelch! Did you enjoy the desserts and did you end up using a grapefruit upside down cake recipe from online?

I generally followed the cake recipe that Gifted Gourmet posted from Martha Stewart. We liked it, but didn't love it - Martha Stewart's recipe calls for pink grapefruits, which are sweeter than the yellow grapefruits I had. Also, it was hard to make segments out of my grapefruit, it broke apart into smaller pieces. When the grapefruit cooked, it actually took on a consistency similar to pineapple -combine that with the color of the yellow grapefruit, and it tasted and looked like a slightly bitter pineapple upside down cake!

I still like the concept, it just might work better with pink grapefruit.