• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Safari-themed Appetizers

Batuta

A close friend will be celebrating a significant birthday in the next few weeks.

Since he's crazy about wild animals, particularly cheetas, panthers and jaguars, his wife has planned a safari for him at a nearby outdoor zoo; a surprise party will follow in other friends' home. The party will have a safari theme.

I've been asked to provide some safari appetizers. Ideally, they'll be dishes that can be prepared ahead of time and may not require additional oven time (others may need to use ovens for the rest of the meal and the surprise nature may make the timing questionable).

So bring it on! What suggestions do you have?

Here are a couple of beginning ideas:

- A savory zebra stripe/marble cheesecake (perhaps goat cheese with tapenade swirls?)

-"Rainforest tacos": lettuce leaves surrounding a minced chicken or porK filling

-dip with cheetah spots (hummus with olives?)

-furry food?

-finger food on rosemary spikes for tails?

I look forward to your suggestions!

Have you tried Amarula, it is the African version of Baileys Irish cream. It is great in coffee and makes a nice flavoring for just about anything, whip cream is to die for. They were also gving away large shot glasses with the stuff recently. Someone gave me a set and they have a full face African Bull elephant etched into the side. Also one of my favorite winter dishes is African Peanut/Groundnut Stew.