• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spaghetti Code

hathor

Here's something all of us Mario Batali fans might appreciate: a new line of frozen pasta dishes brought to you by the fine folk at Progresso.

Who knew Puglia was "the Florence of the South" and that an entire region could become a small city packed with tourists? At any rate, Mario's vast experience in learning and sharing the specialties of discrete Italian regions lends itself to promoting gemelli pasta with meatballs as an authentic Puglese dish.

I learned about this new product line thanks to praise from Ed Levine of Serious Eats.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Here's something all of us Mario Batali fans might appreciate: a new line of frozen pasta dishes brought to you by the fine folk at Progresso.

Who knew Puglia was "the Florence of the South" and that an entire region could become a small city packed with tourists?  At any rate, Mario's vast experience in learning and sharing the specialties of discrete Italian regions lends itself to promoting gemelli pasta with meatballs as an authentic Puglese dish. 

I learned about this new product line thanks to praise from Ed Levine of Serious Eats.

What odd dishes to represent Puglia. I'm sure diced carrots and diced celery are typical Pugliese ingredients, they just smack of locality and terriore. Or, maybe Progresso is just talking smack.... :wink:

Awww, Mario.  :sad:

I know Lecce, in Puglia, has been called "The Florence of the South". And maybe the whole carrots and celery bit is because those are in his tomato sauce, which is being used in the pastas as well.

The key words used in the product descriptions seemed odd to me: one featured diced carrots, the other featured diced celery. Now, that can hardly by Pugila's claim to fame. If you are going to bother trying to appear regional, couldn't they do any better than celery and carrots?

Oh...I'm just being cranky. sorry! :shock:

The key words used in the product descriptions seemed odd to me: one featured diced carrots, the other featured diced celery. Now, that can hardly by Pugila's claim to fame. If you are going to bother trying to appear regional, couldn't they do any better than celery and carrots?

Oh...I'm just being cranky. sorry!  :shock:

Always go for the obvious, Judith.

It's the pasta shape that determines the regional association, that, and in the case of the orecchiette, the broccoli, though I've always made it with anchovies and garlic; sausage would be better without the tomato secondo me.

More relevant is the compromise--or irony--represented by a statement familiar to most of us. This from his personal Web site:

If you were to ask Mario what his favorite ingredient is, he would tell you it depends on where he is and what is fresh in that location on the given day.

"Once you’ve put your groceries in the car, the

quality of your dinner has already been decided."

Fresh, high quality ingredients are essential to Mario's cuisine whether being used in an innovative dish on Iron Chef America, or going in to a century-old, classic preparation. Here you will find information on what Mario is cooking, eating and drinking from ingredients to his vineyard and wine shop.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath