• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Acetate sheets

sote23

I like an office supply store like Business Depot - you look for them in the desk blotter area.  Also art supply stores often have huge sheets.

kerry,

will any acetate sheet work? or does it have to be a certain kind?

Luis

I just use what I find, you might find you want them thicker or thinner for a particular purpose. I've used the transparency sheets from office supply stores too, but they are really kind of small.

I also have a box of acetate cake collar, I think it's about 4 inches wide, great for making a nice band to go around a cheesecake or dessert.

I worked in the creative department of an advertising agency for most of my professional life, and I use the same acetate sheets for chocolate work that we used in the studio -- from Plaza Artist Supply in NY. They come in pads up to 25" x 40" and, as I did when I worked in advertising, I just cut them to size with an Xacto.

I worked in the creative department of an advertising agency for most of my professional life, and I use the same acetate sheets for chocolate work that we used in the studio -- from Plaza Artist Supply in NY. They come in pads up to 25" x 40" and, as I did when I worked in advertising, I just cut them to size with an Xacto.

and does the acetate behave the same as say some bought specifically for chocolate work?

luis,

the price at jb prince is the best, but shipping adds on a lot. you can also successfully use what is often called 'guitar sheets' which is a more flexible plastic, sort of what transfer sheets are printed on.

you can check at tap plastic (there's one in mountain view). they sell rolls of acetate, but it can get quite expensive. 25 inches by 100 feet for anywhere from $80-120 depending on thickness. But I bet 100' would last you a while.

and i agree with everyone else, it is the same stuff whether you buy it at office max or specifically for food related stuff.

Edited by alanamoana (log)

luis,

the price at jb prince is the best, but shipping adds on a lot.  you can also successfully use what is often called 'guitar sheets' which is a more flexible plastic, sort of what transfer sheets are printed on.

you can check at tap plastic (there's one in mountain view).  they sell rolls of acetate, but it can get quite expensive.  25 inches by 100 feet for anywhere from $80-120 depending on thickness.  But I bet 100' would last you a while.

and i agree with everyone else, it is the same stuff whether you buy it at office max or specifically for food related stuff.

thanks alana,

I will get it from jbprince. the thing that sucks, I was just at their store last month in NY. oh well

luis

If you just want a big sheet, I second the person who said local art store. Won't have to pay shipping, and you can test out the technique. Agree with everybody who said it's the same stuff.

If you want pre-cut rolls for cake lining, then agree with jbprince.

luis,

the price at jb prince is the best, but shipping adds on a lot.  you can also successfully use what is often called 'guitar sheets' which is a more flexible plastic, sort of what transfer sheets are printed on.

you can check at tap plastic (there's one in mountain view).  they sell rolls of acetate, but it can get quite expensive.  25 inches by 100 feet for anywhere from $80-120 depending on thickness.  But I bet 100' would last you a while.

thanks alana,

I will get it from jbprince. the thing that sucks, I was just at their store last month in NY. oh well

luis