• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inn at Blackberry Farm

phlawless

Who's been there?

I will be there for a long week end, and it will be my first time.

John Fleer's food is supposed to be pretty fantastic.

Tell me all you know!

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

thank you! that thread is of great help...I am working a SFA event this week end there, and I'm glad to have a better mental picture of the place.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

I had the opportunity to work with fleer at blackberry. Spent almost a year there and it is everything its reputation says it is. There is something about the experience there that cannot be described in words it just has to be lived. The best all around service of anywhere I have ever been, including 3 michellins and others.

If fleer leaves that will be a huge loss, but the belles(sp) put that ship on the path and with its reputation they should be able to fill his position with another excellent chef.

It will seem very wierd not hearing about the two together though.

Beall (pronounced bell)

Met Mr. Fleer last October and thought he was a top notch guy, but unfortunately was not able to spend enough time with him.

FWIW, I've worked in the French Laundry and in the Blackberry Farm restuarant and the BF restaurant is no TFL...imo.

Lots of exciting stuff going on there; the Bealls have the financial means to make stuff happen for sure. I would prefer renting a cottage in the mountains over staying at BF, but to each their own. I can certainly understand wanting to stay somewhere that says yes to every desire you have...

You should have a good time phlawless.

good time?

yes yes yes...a good time was definitely had.

working with chef fleer (his last days) and his staff was great. also getting to hang with some other pretty amazing talent didn't hurt either: hugh atchison from 5 and 10 in athens, mike lata from FIG in charleston, corbin evans from savvy gourmet in NO, john currence from the city grocery in oxford...amazing food from all of them.

then the inn and farm itself...wow.

someday maybe I'll be able to afford to go back...someday.

Hey, Phoebe! You are welcome back any time! We loved having you. My staff is still talking fondly about your banana buttermilk ice cream!

Yes, John is gone and it is incredible how much we all miss him. But Josh Feathers, his Exec Sous for the last 3 years is taking up where he left off. The future looks bright.

I was lucky enough to get a guest chef gig at Blackberry about 7 or 8 years ago and it was absolutely first class. John Fleer is a very good man and a great chef and I wish him all the best!

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Hey, Phoebe!  You are welcome back any time!  We loved having you.  My staff is still talking fondly about your banana buttermilk ice cream!

Thanks, Maggie...it really was a pleasure to meet you all.

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious. Is John returning to NC? Does anyone know what his plans are? I have been fortunate to know John and enjoy his cuisine and knowledge at Blackberry and would like to keep up with his future endeavors.

Fleer is MY hero!

Nice pics green oil..those sandwiches rocked!

What ever Fleer decides to do will be great...He'll have a James Beard award in one hand and a High Life in the other. That's a picture I want to see.

Maggie! Mind PMing the oatmeal cream pie recipe to me? I'll love you forever. :wub: