• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potlatch seasoning: anyone know about this?

Gifted Gourmet

I just got a canister of potlatch seasoning, which was a spice rub named after the ceremonial feast of the Indians of the Northwest coast. ..

gallery_10011_1589_82897.jpg

My husband found it at W-S and I am trying to decide how best to use it .. some say that it is best for plank cooking of salmon, some say it is nice to make a compound butter to spread on cooking salmon.

How else might it be used properly? Perhaps chicken?

It contains: salt, ground cumin, dried oregano, crushed, garlic powder; chili powder, and white pepper.

Ideas?

Have you ever bought this or made your own? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

With that blend of spices (I'm a big fan of cumin) I lean toward lamb or pork. Use it as a rub. Since I also adore cumin on tuna or on boiled eggs, I wonder how this seasoning would work in a tuna salad or in scrambled eggs? The chili might be a dealbreaker for those, depending on how strong it is.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

have mixed it with a nice butter (usually the one from the farmer's market) and rubbed it on a piece of salmon, planked it, grilled it and poured some vodka on it...ignited it and consumed it. I borrowed the vodka and plank idea from Bobby Flay.

I love cumin - a spice my ex-husband turned me on to over 19 years ago. This potlach mix is spicy and fragrant...I was tempted to use it on steak and tuna.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.