• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Morandi

Nathan

Timbalo is the dish from that movie Big Night, right?

I can't believe you got to have it.

Google shows the Big Night dish as "timpano", but google images of "timpano" look pretty much like what I ate (which Morandi calls timballo) - so I'm guessing yes! Just show up on a Wednesday, and it's yours too :-)

Living up the block, and having been here many many times, I came to realize that I had in fact not returned since Tony Liu took over.  I realized this when on a spur we decided we wanted Jody's meatball's, walked on over, took a seat and were handed menus.  That's when it hit - oh yeah, it's a new chef!

This menu is HUGE in comparison.  I had a mini-Shopsin's moment when handed the menu, only if Shopsins were in Italian.  And apart from the big selling holdovers like the Foccacia Caprese, Fried Artichokes, Stuffed Olives, Taglietelle ala Bolognese and Cacio e Pepe, there is a lot of new food on the menu including most all of the specials.

In point of fact, we skipped our meatballs.  Instead we went for the "Timbalo", a daily special which the server described (incorrectly) as a meatball pie.  So I have the same issue as jimk with waiters being off the mark here and there - but in this case it turned out great.  For $29 we got this MASSIVE dough covered penne/zitti pasta stuffed pie with a whole boiled egg or two here and there, a meatball or two, some sausage stuffed in there - but mostly delicious pasta, sauce and peas and a ton of it.  We wound up taking 1/3 of it home, this thing could seriously feed a family.

I guess I'm officially excited after a very minimal sneak peak.  Unfortunately the breakfast menu (I work from Morandi in the mornings a lot during the summer - free wifi) hasn't changed as much yet, nor has the lunch sandwich menu.  But with the exception of the bisteca per due (aged porterhouse for two), which used to come with more rosemary potatoes than one could eat, but now comes with fried peppers from the looks of it, the changes appear to be for the better.  If I had to describe the change in a sentence, I'd say it's less weird stuff (no risotto with blueberries anymore) more yummy looking stuff (grilled quail with pork sausage, polenta & concord grapes just caught my eye).  Prices look to have been corrected a touch as well if I'm not mistaken. 

Any others dined here recently?

Wow - thanks for the update. I was underwhelmed by the visit I described above but am ready to give it another shot - the Timballo sounds fantastic and appears to be their regular Wednesday special.