• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best sushi restaurants in Montreal?

Cole Tucker

If you like take outs, I have two favorits close to where I live. The first one is Shiki sushi on St-Denis north of St-Joseph. I strongly prefer nigiris and they have a special for 2 with 10 nigiris and 10 big maki pieces for 25$+ tax and the quality is there. Thier "Titanic" nigiri which is made of tempura, shrimp, shallots and spicy mayo served on a fried sweet potato slice if very good if you like the genre.

For special occations I get a plate made from Sushi Volant on Rachel. It is a Japanese catherer and his sushis, while rather classic, have a little something that makes them significantly better then others I have tasted elswere.

As for places to avoid, I agree that Maiko on Bernard is to avoid. The quality does not meet the high prices there.

MB as in MBmangeboire the chain that one finds on Stanley and at the airport? Or am I missing something?

Two different things. MB&Co. is the sandwich/coffee place on Stanley, PET airport and formerly Fairview shopping centre.

MangeBoire is the place in Little Italy with terrible sushi.

zen ya has been my favourite for some time, though i think the service used to be better before - they are very busy during lunchtime, so it is wise to reserve beforehand -

have been meaning to try jun-i; my brother tells me that the sashimi is fresh and tasty -

and sakura is always a classic -

I had the pleasure of enjoying Jun-I's Valentines tasting menu and one of the dishes was likely the best Nigiri I have had in Montreal. A lucious piece of Maguro on a perfect temperature bit of rice. So it can be done here too....

I don't think anybody's mentioned Tri on Laurier Est?

So good. The best.

And as crazy as it sounds, as a former West Islander, I very much enjoy the fare at WiSushi on des Sources in DDO. Too far for city dwellers though.

I have to confirm that WiSushi offers definitely better maki then Maiko Sushi on de Sources, but frankly, still far-far from what I'd call "good".

BTW, what's wrong with their rice - both put so much vinegar and sugar into the rice, so it tastes like a dessert sweet-n-sour rice ball. Fish on it tastes simply unnatural. I never noticed this problem in places like Soto few years back, or in any of my favorite Japanese places in Ottawa.

There's a little place on Mont-Royal that had pretty good and inexpensive sushi called Sushi & Depanneur. The name is a little off-putting, but everytime that I've been there I've been rewarded with decent quality at a great price.

Isakaya has some excellent japanese food, and none of the McGill kids living next door seem to have clued in on that. They all attack the sushi when there's some killer stuff in the actual menu! Try the eggplant, the mushrooms, and the spicy tuna plate. All great.