• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cauliflower greens

Sony

Hello,

I bought a HUGE head of cauliflower the other day (roasted cauliflower for dinner tonight :wink: ), and it came nicely nested in smooth pale green leaves.

I could just compost them, maybe throw them in the scrap pile for making veggie stock (though I'm not sure if it would get overpowering), but though I'd ask the peanut gallery for any ideas :smile: . Thanks!

Those greens are quitely love and really set the cauliflower apart - the creamy white and dull green. I never thought about it so I normally toss but I did find this online...

snip<<Q:We have beautiful cauliflower growing in our garden. Can we cook and eat the huge leaves on this plant?

M.F.V., Spring

A: Yes, both the large, outer leaves and any smaller, tender leaves are edible. The ribbed outer leaves are tied over the curd, the spongy head of undeveloped flower buds, to keep it a creamy white. You may want to remove the ribs, or at least chop the large leaves. Cauliflower and broccoli leaves can be used to flavor vegetable stock or used in soup.>>

If you do try this (making a stock), please advise.

Edited by tafkap4d (log)
Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

My Italian MIL would often make fried cauliflower and use the leaves as well as the florets.

She'd blanch it all. Dry the veg and leaves well (she'd cut the leaves into strips), dip in beaten egg, then seasoned flour and shallow fry. Delicious.

This is also how she prepared cardoons, which is what the fried cauliflower leaves remind me of in texture and taste.