• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean in Bergen Co.

EmilyG

After two years of being stranded in Hoboken, I am finally getting a parking spot! Now, I don't have to be afraid that if I drive to dinner, I'll be looking for parking until breakfast. How exciting, huh?

I'm really looking forward to exploring the Korean food options in Fort Lee, Ridgefield Park, etc... but I don't know where to start. If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested in hearing about non-Korean restaurants in Hudson and Bergen county. Are there any places to get dim sum? They only good Chinese restaurant I know of is China 46. Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance!

After two years of being stranded in Hoboken, I am finally getting a parking spot!  Now, I don't have to be afraid that if I drive to dinner, I'll be looking for parking until breakfast.  How exciting, huh?

I'm really looking forward to exploring the Korean food options in Fort Lee, Ridgefield Park, etc... but I don't know where to start.  If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also interested in hearing about non-Korean restaurants in Hudson and Bergen county.  Are there any places to get dim sum?  They only good Chinese restaurant I know of is China 46.  Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance!

han ah reum in ridgefield is the best

HAR just had the new Korean place open up a month or two ago, right next door. Looks authentic but I haven't had a chance to eat there yet.

If you're shopping at HAR, the food court does good honest Korean food. It ain't exactly restaurant setting, but if you're like me and need a dose of kimchi stew every now and then, it's a good place to go for your fix.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

HAR just had the new Korean place open up a month or two ago, right next door.  Looks authentic but I haven't had a chance to eat there yet.

If you're shopping at HAR, the food court does good honest Korean food.  It ain't exactly restaurant setting, but if you're like me and need a dose of kimchi stew every now and then, it's a good place to go for your fix.

Mmmm had lunch here last Saturday...korean style short rib soup

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help a Korean-food newbie, not that familiar with the Bergen County area? My unadventuresome parents live in Fort Lee and spend 6 months in Florida, so we have to try "different cuisine" by ourselves. While away, we have access to their place and usually use it as a jumping off point to NYC. We have discovered some other Asian restaurants in the area, but are much less familiar with Korean food, which we are eager to try-though we've been to some Korean restaurants elsewhere with friends. We are not vegetarians, but generally don't eat red meat, which I realize is very basic to many Korean dishes-bbq's, short-rib dishes, etc. But we do eat fish and chicken (am anxious to try some of the Korean fried chicken places recently discussed. Anyone have any suggested dishes and places to try in the area-FL, Palisades Park, etc.? Authentic is great, but would also like to try some places where they may be amenable to non-Korean customers visiting.

Mark A. Bauman

Can someone help a Korean-food newbie, not that familiar with the Bergen County area? My unadventuresome parents live in Fort Lee and spend 6 months in Florida, so we have to try "different cuisine" by ourselves. While away, we have access to their place and usually use it as a jumping off point to NYC. We have discovered some other Asian restaurants in the area, but are much less familiar with Korean food, which we are eager to try-though we've been to some Korean restaurants elsewhere with friends. We are not vegetarians, but generally don't eat red meat, which I realize is very basic to many Korean dishes-bbq's, short-rib dishes, etc. But we do eat fish and chicken (am anxious to try some of the Korean fried chicken places recently discussed. Anyone have any suggested dishes and places to try in the area-FL, Palisades Park, etc.? Authentic is great, but would also like to try some places where they may be amenable to non-Korean customers visiting.

There are almost too many places to recommend. For twice-fried Korean fried chicken, try Boom Boom Chicken on Main Street in Fort Lee. Madangsui on Palisade Avenue in Fort Lee and So Moon Nan Jip on Broad Avenue in Pal Park are two restaurants that use charcoal in their table-top grills, but have extensive menus that allow you to have a satisfying meal without ordering meat. The Lighthouse near the Han Ah Reum in Ridgefield is good for combinaiton lunches such as spicy tofu stew and short ribs.

Thanks! What a great website for the beginner's introduction to Korean dishes, restaurants, etc. It will definitely allow one to go to a Korean restaurant with a bit of up-front information that should eliminate a lot of the "what is all this?" confusion. Great resource.

Mark A. Bauman