• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Gray Kunz Sauce Spoon

Fat Guy

I received one of these as a gift and I have to say, like JAZ, that it is both elegant and sensuous. I also wondered "Why?". Why such an expensive spoon but it grows and grows on you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I received one of these as a gift and I have to say, like JAZ, that it is both elegant and sensuous. I also wondered "Why?". Why such an expensive spoon but it grows and grows on you.

And it looks so classy in it's little designer framed glass box on the wall where it is displayed when not in use!

interesting, I'd usually see a thing like this as a gimmick or a chef trying to cash in on selling "a spoon" for silly money. Well, $9 is really not worth worrying about, but still, I have a lot of spoons in my drawer already.

Of course, I'm sure I'd buy it if I'd see it, just because. And then I'd loose it somewhere in my drawers and use my regular spoons :laugh:

Maybe the fact that these are a bit larger (it seems) than a regular spoon, you can hold a bit more sauce? I'm actually tired of that paisley (or what I call it - tadpole) shaped sauce puddle, I usually prefer my sauce on top and dripping off the food item, instead of having it underneath.

I'd love to see one of these in person though (w/o ordering one), as I've certainly never heard of a sensual to hold spoon before, though I can imagine what you mean. I love my shun Ken Onion knives for that reason. They just feel completely right to me.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I, along with several other guys on the line at the restaurant I work at, use these spoons. The larger model is a godsend. It holds much more than regular spoons and even "bell/berry" spoons. They are very well-made and sturdy, warranting a $9.50 price tag. I love them because I can sauce, say, a shortrib with 2 spoonfuls instead of 4 with another spoon, which of course is much faster. They are also good for many other uses, as already listed in this thread. I think every line cook should have at least 2. However, I find the smaller version to be little more than a standard tablespoon that you would eat with. Yes, it has a more comfortable shape in the handle, but otherwise is a waste of money IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got 4 of the them, two small two large. I'm doing a stage today, to possibly be the garde manger cook at a restaurant here in Portland. Because I am the ultimate nerd, I had them engraved with "Cook free or die". I can't wait to give them a test run today. They're well balanced, and just feel 'right' in my hand. Better than the spoons I was using which were flimsy, I bent one working on beef tartare.

• 3 months later...

Since my previous post, my love for these spoons has grown considerably. I have purchased 3 more of the large spoons, one small one (it was $4.50, so what the hell). Just a few days ago they came out with perforated models in both sizes. I got the email notification and I'll be honest, I felt strange getting so excited about some friggin' spoons, but they're just great. :laugh: I went up to JB Prince the next day and got 2 large and 1 small perf model. I keep them all in a bain during service and it's amazing how often my entremetier grabs one instead of his/the house spoons. :hmmm::biggrin:

Edited by BKYLN (log)

In fraternal solidarty is anyone prepared to buy me a few samples and send them to me in the UK? (Please PM me)

All costs met.

(JB Prince want me to spend $300 before they ship to the UK)

Edited by adey73 (log)

I have a lot of spoons of different shapes and many sizes from the standard tablespoon to the very large sauce spoon.

I recently got one of these: http://www.cheftools.com/RSVP-Endurance-Drizzle-Spoon/productinfo/06-2530/

And I love it. I ordered two more, one for a spare and one to send to my daughter. Far too often, when I find something like this that becomes a necessary part of my kitchen tool collection, it is discontinued and I lose the original. Thus a spare!

I am considering placing an order for a few more to use as gifts.

I saw it being used in one of the YouTube videos for drizzling a fruit syrup in the spiral formed on top of whipped cream in a parfait glass at the table. I know it is easy to do the same thing with squeeze bottles in the kitchen, but you don't want an unattractive utility item like a plastic bottle at an elegantly appointed table.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, I would love to see you do a side-by-side comparison of those two spoons.

I'm guessing I would prefer the Kunz, because it's more "spoon like." The above spoon looks interesting, but also looks more ladle-like.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

• 10 months later...

My wife just bought me the large perforated. I'm very excited. Will report back when I use it.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I am a huge advocate for these spoons and have my name ground into each one of the big monsters. The are gold on the line and if one is missing at the end of the night there is a break to find it and return, also only your trusted friends can barrow, and it better be crystal clean when it comes back! They're just one of those things in a kitchen.

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

• 1 year later...

I was using one of my Gray Kunz spoons (original large) last night and reflecting on the fact that nobody else has made a spoon that comes close. When you think of all the attention knives get, it's amazing how little serious thought has been given to spoons.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The two things I've used it for lately were for taking poached eggs out of the water and fishing dumplings out. I'm not sure it was better for either of those things than any other spoon, but it does match the other Kunz spoons. I guess for something really delicate it might be gentler than a lesser spoon.

• 4 months later...

I've heard the Gray Kunz spoon is great for making quenelles and for saucing, but what about functions in the kitchen?

Is it too short to baste the top of food with butter when you're cooking it on the stovetop, a la Fatguy method for steaks?

I've heard the Gray Kunz spoon is great for making quenelles and for saucing, but what about functions in the kitchen?

Is it too short to baste the top of food with butter when you're cooking it on the stovetop, a la Fatguy method for steaks?

I find either size (depending on the pan I'm using and how big the steak is or how many I'm cooking) well-suited for this purpose.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

• 5 months later...

[drool]

The moment I saw these they were instantly familiar. I recently inherited some of my mother's ancient Oneida Stainless Community flatware service for 40 or so. To my irritation it wasn't divided evenly and sister got the bulk of it. Most likely purchased in the 50's. I haven't seen any flatware like it when it comes to the spoon curvature.

I've been using the tablespoon when cooking since I didn't have an intermediate sized spoon. After seeing the above pic the large was brought out and looks nearly identical to the Kunz spoon in form except for the handle. These are the saucing/serving(?) spoon, tablespoon and teaspoon:

20121109_093042.jpg

I don't think the heft and balance is the same but will give the large one a whirl for a while and see how it performs. It's like wanting a pair of Raybans though- I'll probably order the Kunz' set as a christmas present to myself...

• 4 years later...

I recently received a small and regular Kunz spoon, both in perforated and "normal" versions. For size comparison, here they are alongside the small, medium, and large Ruhlman offset spoons (and the Badass Egg Spoon).

592dd909276c0_FullSizeRender(23).thumb.jpg.96ee5010313e00d1cfb8ce546476ac55.jpg

If I had it to do all over again, I probably wouldn't get the small, non-perforated spoon since it's remarkably close in size and shape to the "soup spoons" in my normal place setting. To be fair, I hate eating out of those spoons, as they're too big to eat from normally. All I use them for is cooking, and they're great for that purpose. (I never eat from them; I use the Ruhlman offset soup spoons instead.) Anyway, here's the small Kunz spoon along side my too-big soup spoon and a regular spoon from the same set.

592ddb384c885_FullSizeRender(24).thumb.jpg.93a23d9d77a8c6f4447209537b826732.jpg

I'm sure I'll use it a lot regardless, but it's not as unique a tool as the perforated version. I'd gladly swap out all my crappy soup spoons for Kunz spoons... but that's a pricey proposition.

• Like 3

I have the small and regular non-perforated versions. For perforated I have cheap spoon from the restaurant store; it does the job a well as anything ... usually fishing raviolis out of the pot and spherification, but doesn't get reached for often.

I like the big Kunz spoon for its size, and for the slightly concave sides, which give extra control when saucing. It's basically a precision ladle. And it's good for quenelles. The small version's only advantage over my tablespoons is that concave edge. I don't use it nearly as often.

These things are nowhere near the top of my list of desert island kitchen tools, but my plating skills are weak in ways that will not be fixed by a fancy spoon.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly