• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Everything Guide to Chinatown

larrylee

Not true. Yes, Chinese people eat everything under the sun and then some. However, there is a great vegetarian/vegan cuisine throughout China because of Buddhism. Go to a temple during the festival holidays and you'll find some wonderful vegetarian/vegan dishes being served there.

You wouldn't find a good vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Manhattan proper - go to Flushing and there are some out there. I can't comment on the quality as I don't like to eat vegan/vegetarian items but I know of one off 37th road near Gala Manor that's supposedly quite good.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

Not true.  Yes, Chinese people eat everything under the sun and then some.  However, there is a great vegetarian/vegan cuisine throughout China because of Buddhism.  Go to a temple during the festival holidays and you'll find some wonderful vegetarian/vegan dishes being served there. 

I never said that there are no vegetarian dishes amongst the Chinese cuisines.

However, Guangdong cuisine (Cantonese) is intrinsically non-vegetarian (oyster sauce is simply a staple)...although a pescaterian might get by.

Fujanese cuisine is heavily seafood oriented.

I believe these the two most represented Chinese cuisines in Chinatown.

Which is why your comment: "You wouldn't find a good vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Manhattan proper" proves my point.

Interesting. Since my grandmother was a devout Buddhist, we used to go to temple with her all the time and had great vegetarian meals there. I believe there was one temple we used to go to on East Broadway and another on Mott. I just assumed that there would be at least one restaurant in Chinatown that would have catered to this demographic.

Funny, my girl and I were exploring this area (E.Chinatown/E.Broadway) just last week after Golden Unicorn dim sum. It feels so raw. So many storefronts w/no English.

We found 88 Palace dim sum mentioned in the article and made a mental to go next time. Anyone been? Does it compare to Unicorn (w/I feel is perhaps the best) or Jing Fong w/I is pretty standard/uneventful.

That wasn't chicken

Interesting.  Since my grandmother was a devout Buddhist, we used to go to temple with her all the time and had great vegetarian meals there.  I believe there was one temple we used to go to on East Broadway and another on Mott.  I just assumed that there would be at least one restaurant in Chinatown that would have catered to this demographic.

The only one I've been to and was pretty good from what I remember (was like 7yrs ago) is Vegetarian Dim Sum on Doyers. Lots of vegie dumplings, faux duck, pork, chicken shaped tofu. Not bad if you like that sort of stuff.

Heard of is Buddha Bodai, never been.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants.asp?a...edResturantIds=

That wasn't chicken

Not true.  Yes, Chinese people eat everything under the sun and then some.  However, there is a great vegetarian/vegan cuisine throughout China because of Buddhism.  Go to a temple during the festival holidays and you'll find some wonderful vegetarian/vegan dishes being served there. 

I never said that there are no vegetarian dishes amongst the Chinese cuisines.

However, Guangdong cuisine (Cantonese) is intrinsically non-vegetarian (oyster sauce is simply a staple)...although a pescaterian might get by.

Fujanese cuisine is heavily seafood oriented.

I believe these the two most represented Chinese cuisines in Chinatown.

Which is why your comment: "You wouldn't find a good vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Manhattan proper" proves my point.

In general the restaurants in Manhattan's Chinatown aren't that great. That's why I suggested Flushing. There are more cuisines in Chinatown now than just the Guangdong and Fuijanese/various Northern styles. However, Flushing offers more variety and definitely better food. For whatever reasons (overhead costs, etc), the good restaurants and chefs are out in Flushing.

Guangdong food and its people are known for eating anything and everything. Personally, I think it's one of the best cuisines in China however I do love a good dumpling and fried montaou from the northern cuisines.

Interesting.  Since my grandmother was a devout Buddhist, we used to go to temple with her all the time and had great vegetarian meals there.  I believe there was one temple we used to go to on East Broadway and another on Mott.  I just assumed that there would be at least one restaurant in Chinatown that would have catered to this demographic.

I'm sure there must be, however, I just suggested going out to Flushing for a better experience. Maybe try asking someone at the local temple? What about the one that's at Canal near the bridge? Not to be funny but maybe they would know best?

ETA: In regards to oyster sauce being a staple in Cantonese cuisine, that's not really true. It is a staple in the kitchen pantry, but the majority of Cantonese dishes do not use oyster sauce as a primary flavor. It's not oyster sauce that makes traditional Cantonese cuisine non-vegetarian/vegan - it's the use of seafood, chicken and pork in dried and fresh form.

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

I'm sure there must be, however, I just suggested going out to Flushing for a better experience.  Maybe try asking someone at the local temple?  What about the one that's at Canal near the bridge?  Not to be funny but maybe they would know best?

I usually eat in Flushing for Chinese but this will be a "work lunch". Quick jaunt down to Chinatown from midtown, grab a bite and rush back to work so Flushing is out.

I enjoyed Eddis S.'s piece on late-night.

For lunch yesterday I went over to East Corner Wonton, a place I must have walked by around 100 times, but never went into. Excellent wontons, and the roast duck was very good too - though I still have a soft spot for the roasted products at Great NY Noodletown.

And no matter what is implied, I find it hard to believe that any of the meat markets are quite "spotless." Unless smoking cigarettes while cutting meat is a sign of spotlessness.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?