• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine With Chocolate

Kerry Beal

John, take a pill.!!

But, I do agree with you. I don't think that chocolate and wine are a good mix. Current culture and trends want this pairing. It is different and unique and that is what the X'ers want. When you are in the chcolate business you better respond to the demands and trends or you will be out of business.

Now chocolate, coffee, wine and even tea have very similar parallels in terms of how they taste, and especially from where the goods are from, the soil, the processing techniques...

I live in an OIL RICH town and people don't want garbage anything. They want the Puruvian blah blah blah, etc.

On a stroll in Boulder ( Colorado ) I went to visit the local Belgian chocolate shop ( ok ok I was undercover to check out the market :laugh::laugh: )

Anyway this is a Colorado Based Company and I knew that from some time they were working with a local wine company , but what I didnt know is that now they have a store together .Yes they share the store , on one side there is the chocolate shop , on the other side the wine tasting room ,open floor plan.Weekends evening they even have music .I was already thinking to get together with a local brewery , because I create a chocolate with thier beer and everyone loved it , so since i knew the owner I thought going local and cooperate with another business would been a good idea, I guess it is, because they went all the way with that wine /chocolate deal.

Personally I dont know if I like wine and chocolate , I wanted to try few local wine form another company and see whats up with the chocolate pairing .Like Prairiegirls said if you are in buisiness and the trend is that one you have to go with the flow or you loose a big part of the market.

Vanessa

Yeah wine is just working its way right into chocolate because people want to pair them up. I don't neccesarily like wine with dark chocolate but it definitely is intereseting. When I did a pairing with some wineries in Lodi there were all these different flavors that were presenting themselves in the chocolate when paired with the wine. So yeah there are some intersting things but I do it mostly because that is what people want right now...

I still take my chocolate plain with a side of nothing haha...