• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcakes anyone?

tafkap4d

Let's face it...it is easier for me to have cupcakes instead of an entire cake on my house. The kid is off at college and I tire easily of the same things so...cupcakes it is.

For Valentine's day I ordered a dozen assorted cupcakes from an up and coming young lady here in Atlanta, who I touted (to myself) to be Atlanta's answer to Magnolia Bakery in NYC (I LOVE THEIR CUPCAKES). I was sorely disappointed. I gave eight of the remainng cupcakes to our daughter - who is a college student and 19 - they will eat anything. She and her friend described the cupcakes as...awkward.

I later went to Williams-Sonoma and picked up Sprinkles (Magnolia's "rival" on the west coat) mix for cupcakes and made them. Not bad - good consistency but a bit to sweet for my tastes (and with the overabundance of frosting...I used it on semi homemade cinnamon rolls on Sunday morning).

This has thrust me into a quest for a nice, cakelike, not too sweet all purpose cupcake - one I can add lemon too or chocolate, etc. I normally use Magnolia Bakery's cupcake recipe but the quantity is massive, it isn't "my recipe" and I would like to try something different.

Any takers?

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

This has thrust me into a quest for a nice, cakelike, not too sweet all purpose cupcake - one I can add lemon too or chocolate, etc.  I normally use Magnolia Bakery's cupcake recipe but the quantity is massive, it isn't "my recipe" and I would like to try something different.

Any takers?

There is a lovely, lively discussion focused upon the cupcake here at eGullet:

everything cupcakey ... :wink:

Did you say Atlanta?? :rolleyes:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Marvelous! I did a search for cupcakes on this board and even went into the recipe section!

Thank you!

Yes ma'am - Atlanta (Sandy Springs/Roswell). :)

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.