• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF good eats

sadistick

A good friend of mine is going to San Fran this week, and has asked me for some suggestions regarding places to eat...

He isnt looking for anything too expensive, as he's still a student, as well, no meats or shellfish (he keeps kosher)

So, some good sushi places, fish places, or anything else you may think of would be a great help.

I will be passing this information along to him, and will report back upon his return.

Thanks.

he should certainly hit the ferry building, and there are many places to eat there that won't break the bank. i had a duck rillete sandwich from lulu petite recently that cost about 7-8 bucks, and was so generous that i gave half to a lady sitting near me at the wine bar who was eying it longingly. (good food karma always pays off!)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

He isnt looking for anything too expensive, as he's still a student, as well, no meats or shellfish (he keeps kosher)

So, some good sushi places, fish places, or anything else you may think of would be a great help.

Ti Couz in the Mission district is a nice Breton creperie. (3108 16th St)

Shalimar in the Tenderloin/Theater district or on Polk St for Indian food. (1409 Polk St or 532 Jones St.)

Saigon Sandwiches for sardine banh mi sandwiches I can't remember if they also have tofu versions. (560 Larkin St)

For sushi, I like Ryoko's, west of Union Sq. (619 Taylor)

Another good place to look on eGullet is Caroyln Tillie's thread for dining near Japantown and other parts of the city. In general, your friend may be interested in checking out Japantown. I don't have any specific recommendations there.

Some other dependable favorites:

Marnee Thai (in the Sunset(

and

Brandy Ho's Hunan Restaurant in North Beach

(I order a lot of meat and shellfish dishes at these places but there are plenty of other dishes as well.)

Will your friend have a car? The rec's I gave above are all over the city. It might be easier to give more meaningful recommendations knowing what part of the city he'll be in and if he'll be willing to travel around a bit.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Will your friend have a car?  The rec's I gave above are all over the city.  It might be easier to give more meaningful recommendations knowing what part of the city he'll be in and if he'll be willing to travel around a bit.

Just what I was thinking. There are just so many places in the city. I assume that your (OP's) friend is here to visit the city and it may not make sense for him to go all over the city just for meals. If you friend knows which part of the city he will be visiting, then people here can make more specific recommendations in the area where he'll be.

It also helps to know where someone is visiting from in order to suggest foods/types of restaurants that they might not have available wherever home is.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks so much for those suggestions Ludja

My friend is visiting from Toronto - staying with his sister (who has a car) although, I am not sure of where exactly she lives...

I passed a few of your rec's along - Will you know what feedback I recieve.

Cheers.