• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry Consulting

artisansweets

I am looking to get into doing some pastry consulting. The town that I live in has no pastry chefs and the desserts speak to that. Therefore I see a great need for consulting.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have so many questions... pricing, procedure, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I do that and would be happy to answer some of your questions. Where do you live?

You can PM me and I'll be happy to give you my email address so we can communicate on this issue.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I would also be interested in learning about consulting. I still work as a pastry chef but in the next few years I will be slowing down in the production of pastry and am looking for another way to use my knowledge. Thanks for any help. Marilyn

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

Consulting is a hard pressed matter for any chef...

you really have to know your stuff, and even then their are no guarantees.

I am on assignment with two companies as I write this,

one is a commercial bakery that produces for Nordstrom and Starbucks.

they are looking for new bar ideas, the 6-7 varieties that we have come up with

so far are unlike anything currently avaialable anywhere. It will be exciting to see something I developed to be presented in a Starbucks as far away as California.

the second contract (to start next Tuesday) is a temp. to train that means I go in train an exsisting staff how to raise their game and leave in about 7-8 weeks.

I do charge for travel expense outside a Washington geographic area, as well as

lodging, and a per diem expense daily.

my standard hourly rate is 50.00 per hour.

hope this helps.

Michael

Thanks for the info. That helps. I do feel quite underqualified... but at the same time I know I can create desserts that are far better than anything I've seen served at a restaurant in my town. The question is do the restauarant owners see value in that. I was trained at Spago where they do 50% dessert sales... that's practically unheard of... but the desserts were amazing!!

Thanks again.. any information helps at this point.