• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catering

Truc

Hello, this is strange, because I was actually thinking about starting my own catering business. And honestly, I have no idea where to start. I have some of the cooking equipment and I want to do this as a hobby. I used to cook professionally, in kitchens but it seems like catering is a whole different world. Just beingout of the cooking gig for a while I just wanted to do some part time catering on my days off from my job and before I start school again. Any advice would be great!

Please, don't cater as a hobby. Don't have an "underground restaurant" as a hobby. Even if you think the Health Dept. regs (which you can't meet as a hobbyist) are stupid, a LOT of people out there are working hard to comply with them, and your gain is their loss, as their legitimate business goes to you or some other hobbyist who can put out food cheaper.

As a former personal chef who played by all the rules, I can't tell you how much business I lost to people who cooked illegally, out of their homes, as a hobby. Don't do it.

But catering is really a lot of fun, and if you want to have that fun, get a commercial litchen, even if you have to rent it by the hour.

But catering is really a lot of fun, and if you want to have that fun, get a commercial litchen, even if you have to rent it by the hour.

I get people asking me to cook for them and I politely refuse. I will then refer them to caterers that I have worked with.

Living hard will take its toll...

I guess my question is how many catering professionals started out as good home cooks? A friend asks you to bake them a loaf of your bread, or bake them a cheesecake ... where does it stop?

At what point do you incorporate, rent out commercial space, and buy a domain on the Internet?

I think the draw to catering as a hobby is that you can "test" the waters first -- find out if the product or service you are selling is something that people are willing to buy -- WITHOUT having to invest in a lot of overhead.

I understand Abra's concern, but what really are the rules here?

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

The rules vary state by state, and even by county. The basic rules in effect in a very large part of the country are that you may not prepare for sale any foods in your home kitchen. Some areas make exception for non-hazardous baked goods, like bread or cookies, but not for pumpkin pie, or anything they think needs refrigeration. In most places your home kitchen CANNOT be certified as a commercial kitchen. So technically, if you accept money for food you cook, you can't cook in your own home.

But hey, test the waters? Totally. Get your friends to "hire" you to do parties for them - they pay for all the groceries, you donate your services. They don't pay you, but they'll give you a reference if you do a good job. Do all the cooking legally - by cooking in the CLIENT'S kitchen. Another great thing to do is to go to work for a caterer for a while, one with a good reputation. Learn some of the ropes about how to do catering, which usually involves a lot of service and presentation skills in addition to cooking. That's how I got started, so I know it works.

I hate to be all preachy. How you read what I say depends on whether you're law-and-order oriented or not. Catering from home is generally illegal. Lots of people don't care.

Edited by Abra (log)

Catering from home is generally illegal.  Lots of people don't care.

Truth. And truth.

I would say, however, that the majority of small-scale caterers operate illegally. At least that's what I've come across. Same for the whole underground restaurant/dining club thing.

Just be careful and let the free market reign (if you're into that kind of thing).

Let me add my two cents. I agree with Abra completely. You have to be very careful about thinking of this as a hobby and not doing all of the homework. Check with your local authorities (start with the health department). Find out the rules.

In many places you must have a food handler's certificate or licence to even think about selling food. Most places don't allow cooking out of your home. You can look into renting a kitchen (church, community center, licenced food establishment, etc.), but that has it's own problems.

Do your research. Find out what the rules are in your area.

And though catering may seem like a fun thing to do, let me point out that it's hard, hard work. Our company caters parties for 10 to 1000 - and the parties for 10 can be just as challenging as the events for 1000. Logistics, equipment, staff - there's a lot to think about.

Hi, sorry i didnt mean for htis to become such a debate haha i was just inquiring about doing some catering gigs for friends and family for fun not as a ful fledge business or anything lol and I woudl always cook at the personas house never traansporting food or anything . but thanks for the feedback

I started in catering, worked at clubs and small restaurants and let me tell you caterig is hard work. If you do it right - harder than anything else. You cook, you pack, you drive, you unload, setup, cook a lot more, breakdown, clean, drive back, clean up some more...It is tough. If you want a hobby go work for a caterer for events on weekends take the rest of the week off.

The Inn At Little Washington was started as a catering outfit out of a house and expanded and expanded and the rest is history just to name one. Lots of people start at home. Nothing totally wrong with that. Time and circumstance take care of growing into genuine commercial real estate like the big kids.

Go for it. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

I suppose you could say that I cater as a hobby. And I totally agree with Abra.

I often have friends that tell me they are getting married and they would like me to do the cake. When I say, "Yes" I always say that my time will be my gift to the happy couple. Some have insisted that if they are not paying, they don't want me to do it. That's no problem for me. I tell them about different companies in town that I think do a pretty good job. No they probably won't use your Grandma's recipe.

I have also made food for graduation parties, prom, etc. Always my time is my gift. Generally I don't even let them pay me for the food. If they cover that cost, I give them a shopping list and they pick it up.

People keep telling me I should go into the business. After all the work I put into it, I tell them that if I don't love you I won't do it. They can't pay me enough to do this as a job. But that's just me. I definitely think you should test the waters. I also think you should do it the legal way.

One important thing not mentioned so far is that if you prepare food for people, you need liability insurance. Heaven forfend, if someone gets sick from something you prepared, you are going to be very sorry if you don't have insurance. Even something like serving one bad oyster, no fault of yours personally, can get your ass sued. And to get that insurance? You have to be running a legitimate business, complete with business license.