• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken stock from fresh

Blether

Quirky local economics mean I can get a 1.1kg (~2.5 pound) chicken real cheap, but carcasses for stock are relatively more expensive.

So, for the days when I want stock but haven't roasted a bird, what's the best way to turn a fresh chicken into the biggest volume of the best-flavoured stock ?

e.g.

- roast it then take the flesh off, boil then simmer everything ?

- boil and simmer from raw, like a boiling foul ?

- brown by frying then boil and simmer ?

- something else ?

I've done it a number of times, but making it up as I go along, and I don't feel I do it often enough to easily compare methods. EGulleteers, may I pleae have the benefit of your experience ?

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Go the ECI course on Stocks and Sauces!

It's also a good idea that whenever you roast a chicken, take the gizzards and necks and stick them in the freezer for the next round of stock making. Also, if you can get chicken feet, keep some of those in the freezer, as well, and add a couple to the pot of stock.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I rather enjoy using the chicken feet - took me a minute getting used to it but it does impart a rich flavor.

I have made stock by roasting or cooking the bird first and I find that I have the best luck if I roast it first - or I cheat and buy a rotis chicken. The raw chicken just doesn't impart enough richness for me.

I usually keep a baked hen/chicken in the fridge and we eat off it for a few days and what is left is my base.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

I just used Pam R's Chicken Soup tutorial on Thursday, and the resulting stock/broth/soup was really delicious.  I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, but I'd recommend it.

this is pretty much what I do method wise as well and my family is famous for their chicken soup! we do however add lots of fresh parsley (never dill) , celery (not parsnips) a pinch of saffron threads and a few pieces of fresh sliced ginger to the mix

always use fresh raw chickens and never ever boil !!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I would so prefer to use homemade stock (as opposed to store-bought) that I've been known to roast a chicken, take off the meat, and then make the stock... even if I don't need the meat right away. Once deboned, you can wrap the chicken tightly and freeze it... or just refrigerate for a couple of days to use later, if necessary. It might take a little forethought, but it works... I do it all the time. :)

Everything above is correct, but I will add something I like to do: Take the meat off the legs and grind it or chop it fine. Mix it with a couple of egg whites and a little extra mirepoix cut into julienne or batonet. You can add this to the COLD water/carcass/mirepoix mix and you will have a self-clarifying stock, like making a consomme. Be careful not to boil, you want an easy bubble, and make sure the raft stays moist. When it's done, strain through a coffee filter with a ladle. You'll have awesome tasting and very clear stock.

I like a combination of roasted and raw for my stock. I'll usually roast the carcasses of my leftover birds and stash them in the freezer, each carcass divided between two freezer bags (for small batches I'll use one, for full batches I'll use two).

When I've got a chicken I want to use (often a large "retired" hen) I'll typically reserve the breasts for another use, on the grounds that they don't add much flavour anyway. I simmer the rest of the bird with the roasted half-carcass and my mirepoix, until the leg meat is tender. Then I lift the bird from the pot and remove the legs, reserving them for another use. The rest of the fresh carcass goes back into the pot for a couple of hours, until I'm satisfied with the flavour of the broth.

I find that the whole chicken imparts a better flavour, and the wings/bones etc give lots of body to the stock. The roasted bones deepen the colour (usually - but not always - desirable, to my mind), and add complexity to the broth with their toasty/caramelized overtones. When I have opportunity to plan my stock making, this is my ideal situation.

That being said, I often have to improvise due to time constraints, so I go with whatever I have on hand. If I end up with a light-flavoured broth, I'll either use it for risotto (where that is preferable), or else when I make soup of it I'll be sure to jack up the flavour with other ingredients.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Go the ECI course on Stocks and Sauces!

It's also a good idea that whenever you roast a chicken, take the gizzards and necks and stick them in the freezer for the next round of stock making.  Also, if you can get chicken feet, keep some of those in the freezer, as well, and add a couple to the pot of stock.

Yep, I'm doing that. It's funny, I searched for "chicken stock" in the forums and came up empty-handed. "Chicken soup". Haha ! I'm still learning to speak American :smile:

(I'm still learning to use eGullet, too).

My problem is more that I can't (OK, don't want to) eat the amount of chicken I need to keep up with the amount of stock I want for my soups - lentil, tomato, cream of mushroom, leek & spud, you name it. Soup is king ! I should have said that up front, really shouldn't I ?

Thanks for the advice, Snowangel, and I appreciate the feet suggestion.

I just used Pam R's Chicken Soup tutorial on Thursday, and the resulting stock/broth/soup was really delicious.  I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, but I'd recommend it.

Thanks, Jeniac42. That's one vote (two including Pam ?) for cooking from fresh, then.

I usually keep a baked hen/chicken in the fridge and we eat off it for a few days and what is left is my base.

Hi, Tafkap4d. Feet, again ? OK. Your way (leftover chicken carcass) is also the way I have most experience with.

Edited by Blether (log)

this is pretty much what I do method wise as well and my family is famous for their chicken soup!  we do however add lots of fresh parsley (never dill) , celery (not parsnips)  a pinch of saffron threads and a few pieces of fresh sliced ginger to the mix

Another vote for starting from fresh, then. Never boil ? Is there more to say on that ?

PS saffron ? When can I come over for soup ? :biggrin:

--Another vote for starting from fresh, then. Never boil ? Is there more to say on that ?--

Boiling will leave you with a cloudy stock. Starting with cold water is also important, putting hot water on raw bones will release proteins that will also cloud your final product.

Everything above is correct, but I will add something I like to do...

Thanks, Joisey, those are great tips (and thanks for your post about boiling, too).

I'm probably too lazy to get the mincer out when I make a quick stock, but I'll remember the egg-white technique for a special occasion (I made mashed potatoes on Sunday withoput even peeling them - seems I'm getting less rather than more sophisticated :wink: ).

I like a combination of roasted and raw for my stock...

Thanks, Chromedome (good name, by the way !). That's thorough. I like the idea of taking the legs off while they'll still be tasty as meat.

Also, don't forget that that a cheap battery farmed chicken may not give you the rich stock you are looking for.

Ha ! Yes... the ones I get here are from Brazil. Actually they're not bad for flavour, considering how small they are.

this is pretty much what I do method wise as well and my family is famous for their chicken soup!  we do however add lots of fresh parsley (never dill) , celery (not parsnips)  a pinch of saffron threads and a few pieces of fresh sliced ginger to the mix

Another vote for starting from fresh, then. Never boil ? Is there more to say on that ?

PS saffron ? When can I come over for soup ? :biggrin:

I am the product of an extensively ethnic upbringing and learned to make chicken soup by putting the ingredients I mentioned above and included in that recipe into a pot with some water and standing there skimming the top while it very gently simmers...I have perfectly clear soup in a really short time!

My son went to culinary school and came home so exited to teach me how to make chicken soup and get a the nice clear broth I like ....between the pureeing of veggies and what ever the heck else he did in the kitchen to make that "raft" to float on the soup and somehow make a clear broth..was a freaking disaster ..took too much time and made too much of a mess...

it is woth it to just stand there and put your hear into that pot for a while ...making sure it does not boil ...skimming the crap off and adding some herbs and stuff as you smell it come to life....I dont know the science ..but I do know this works ..is easy ...only uses one pot and makes perfectly clear soup every time...

the saffron ...omg it is the way to just pull it all together and make it just that much warmer as you sip it ....

hope this helps

I think I need to go shopping for some chickens now it has been at least a month since I made any! ! Thanks for starting this thought...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Blether: WHERE are you getting these whole chickens?! Tell!  :cool:

Hee hee :biggrin: Hanamasa, baby ! Ooh yeah. They've stocked frozen ones for ages (Yen400) and recently have started putting defrosted ones out for a few yen less. I do them tandoori-style quite often.

If you dig around in the freezers they also have very cheap pork bones in bulk, as well as ears and whatnot, and pork back fat at Yen160 for a kg (perfect for sausage-making).

Edited by Blether (log)

Made a few batches of chicken stock/soup over the last couple of weeks. Followed the instructions from my Demo - raw bones, cold water.

A mix of wings, necks, backs and two legs (because I wanted a little meat for the soup). I'd use feet if I could get them.

gallery_25849_641_22565.jpg

Skim, skim, skim!

gallery_25849_641_37986.jpg

After a few hours of cooking (with carrots, parsnip, onions and celery), strained and ready to be chilled and de-fatted.

gallery_25849_641_1589.jpg

Chilled - chicken jello!

gallery_25849_641_13335.jpg

With some dill added towards the end, all I need are some noodles or rice. Leave out the dill and use in other recipes.

Hi Pam. Yes, I've made a couple of batches myself, now. Having assimilated the idea of using fresh chicken and revisited the reasons I asked the question, I've rediscovered and started buying the frozen packs of carcass (necks, backs, some skin) that the same stiore sells.

With no whole pieces, I've been simmering for three and a half hours - but reserving samples and tasting side-by-side, I'm not sure two and a half hours wouldn't be better - more light, pure chicken flavour / less gamey. Gamey has its good side, too, of course, and I'm by no means dissatisfied with the results I've had. The only additions I use besides chicken and water are some onion and peppercorns.

My ethnicity prods me to add sweated onion and carrot, bring to a boil, add a bunch of split red lentils and simmer for half an hour, as a minimum soup :smile: (and that's exactly what I've done, both times).

Anyway I'm happy to have my soups back, thanks to the answers here and the details in the features in eGCI.