• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlie Hicks - a proper greengrocer

Tucked away off Reigate High Street is a new gem - Charlie Hicks who's often on the radio talking about eating seasonally, has opened a greengrocers selling ... excellent seasonal produce.

As the only other sources of Fruit 'n veg in the town are Morrisons (boo hiss) and M&S I do hope it prospers. I can't keep it going on my own! The Italian oranges we bought, for example, are gorgeous - sweet yet tangy.

Tucked away off Reigate High Street is a new gem - Charlie Hicks who's often on the radio talking about eating seasonally, has opened a greengrocers selling ... excellent seasonal produce. 

As the only other sources of Fruit 'n veg in the town are Morrisons (boo hiss) and M&S I do hope it prospers.  I can't keep it going on my own!  The Italian oranges we bought, for example, are gorgeous - sweet yet tangy.

I had a look around the shop this morning and there is definatly some fantastic produce in there, I was in the vine king on saturday picking up some wine for the restaurant and they were promoting him so lets hope he does ok and word gets round hes there

Charlie Hicks, I think if it is the same one, is the former business partner of Greg Wallace (Masterchef & Secretts Farm Surrey). They ran George Allen's out of Covent Market and I used to work somewhere that bought from them daily for about 5 years. Top quality produce, quite abit imported from Italy. Charlie definitely knows his stuff.

Screttes Farm (near Goldaming) sell wonderful leaves and herbs, picked at dawn and delivered into London that day.

Edited by beepop (log)

and they were promoting him so lets hope he does ok and word gets round hes there

Promoting him to what? Liuetenant General?

Ahaha I'm here all week ladies and gentlemen, don't forget to try the prawn special

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

I suspect it means promoting in an advertising sense, rather than Human Resources.

It's rather pathetic how excited I've got over this - in any French or Italian town of comparable size there would be at least two decent greengrocers, but Reigate like most British towns has succumbed to The Wonders of The Supermarket.

I suspect it means promoting in an advertising sense, rather than Human Resources.

in any French or Italian town of comparable size there would be at least two decent greengrocers, but Reigate like most British towns has succumbed to The Wonders of The Supermarket.

I cant speak for Italy but my own experience in France, I have the traditional 'waiting to be restored' ruin there, is that supermarkets rule

The big LeClerc outside my nearest town was pulled down and an even bigger one built in just a few weeks. Local markets are becoming sad affairs with mostly clothes, a handful of veg and the obligatory African chap selling Bob Marley posters.

The french like everyone else don't want to pay any more than they have to or drive more than they can afford.

Its like that programme slagging off tescos on telly the other night. Surely if people stopped going to Tescos/Tesco Express etc then they would stop building more? The supermarkets are meeting demand and it's only a few people who dont like it (And I bet they shop at Waitrose)

The French are like us...except they dont seem to moan about supermarkets, simply embrace them.

S