• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dealing with problems at restaurants

drrevenue

I don't know about y'all, but I'M KIDDING AROUND.
It's called getting each other's goat.

No, oh humorless one.

FG, Tommy, and I were actually satirizing the very thread in which we're participating. The three of us got it. You didn't.

Nina tell me you didn't miss the relationship of "KIDDING" and "goat" and we'll decide who's sense of humor is disfunctional.

Of course I got it. I just can't stand Whiting is all.

Of course I got it.  I just can't stand Whiting is all.

I've got to ask; how is this relevant to anything posted anywhere on this site? Also regarding this: because others agree with you on this point proves nothing. The fact that I do find John to be a likable person is also neither relevant, nor does it necessarily prove that he's a likable person. Is there any reason why we can't have the common courtesy to keep these kind of things to ourselves?

Of course I got it.  I just can't stand Whiting is all.

I've got to ask; how is this relevant to anything posted anywhere on this site? Also regarding this: because others agree with you on this point proves nothing. The fact that I do find John to be a likable person is also neither relevant, nor does it necessarily prove that he's a likable person. Is there any reason why we can't have the common courtesy to keep these kind of things to ourselves?

It might behoove you to make yourself aware of certain pieces of history before making judgements.

Yes, that's what we need - let's ALL get involved in whatever past arguments other people have had. I mean, it's not like any of us have anything better to do. :wacko:

So...how bout that Hans & his big asparagus, eh? Anyone know where I can get a big asparagus like that?

Miss J, I hope you don't take this personally but I am an utter idiot. I don't know how much longer I can tolerate my inane prattling about matters of which I know nothing. I have sent myself several PMs about this and three and a half of me agree with me. I'm glad I got this off my chest.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

"Is there any reason why we can't have the common courtesy to keep these kind of things to ourselves?"

Ooh, ooh, ooh, another food fight.

Joe - If I can speak for Nina, as well as try and reel this point in so there is no further animosity vented, I think the posters here often impose their sensibilities on an issue but I think John takes it a bit further than that. Quite often you can draw an inference from his posts that he is imposing a morality and making value judgements about other posters. And there are a number of posters here who thinks that goes to far. But I don't think that has anything to do with his actual person. I'm sure he is a lovely man and would be a pleasure to dine with. He's just a pain in the ass on a chat room.

"Is there any reason why we can't have the common courtesy to keep these kind of things to ourselves?"

Ooh, ooh, ooh, another food fight.

Joe - If I can speak for Nina, as well as try and reel this point in so there is no further animosity vented, I think the posters here often impose their sensibilities on an issue but I think John takes it a bit further than that. Quite often you can draw an inference from his posts that he is imposing a morality and making value judgements about other posters. And there are a number of posters here who thinks that goes to far. But I don't think that has anything to do with his actual person. I'm sure he is a lovely man and would be a pleasure to dine with. He's just a pain in the ass on a chat room.

Thank you, SP.

all "explanations" aside, i think both steve and nina know that her comment wasn't appropriate.

bullshit. whiting has been consistently rude to me, judgemental, and unpleasant. i have every right to strike, and state my feelings.

and don't you give me shit about what's appropriate - you of all people, who posts here in a completely un-self-censored way (mind you, I like it)

I had drinks with some friends at Legal Seafood last night (its just convenient) and one of my friends - who had been scrutinizing his glass of Zin and muttering about cork discovered 4 poached fruitflys in the bottom of his glass. I was drinking white so no worries for me, but everyone else had reds. This discovery led to much gaging and scrutiny of remaining wine and indications that no, never again would we visit LS for beverages. They actually handled it quite well, giving us all a round of drinks and offred my friend another glass of the Zin from a fresh bottle that they would open at the table for him. They also had the manager appologize and gave us a couple of appetizers.

So...how bout that Hans & his big asparagus, eh? Anyone know where I can get a big asparagus like that?

Singles ad in the personals?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

OF COURSE I GOT THE JOKE.  jeez.  my response was SARCASM.  I even mentioned later on that IT WAS A JOKE.

I've often said that there should be a smiley for :sarcasm: just for situations like this. Maybe the Ubermeisters will consider adding one someday.

I guess there is no way to tell for sure. I once had a root beer in Panama that contained a cricket. I am still totally grossed out by THAT one. And its not like the guy in the roadside place we stopped in could have cared. After that incident I was informed that in Panama (especially the countryside) you should ALWAYS pour out any beverage into a glass and examine it - of course they can't give you any guarantees about the glass. :raz:

Why would you want a big asparagus like that. It's going to be tough and woody? Oh ... never mind. I withdraw my question.

:biggrin:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.