• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable trends we're glad are over

Fat Guy

Hey, don't undersell nettles :smile:

I use the young spring growth (better flavour) to make an admirable nettle risotto. David Everitt-Matthias of le champignon Sauvage has a well worth making recipe for braised blade of beef with nettle risotto and spring onions in his very user friendly cookbook Essence...........

BeeZee: totally; and that trend managed to infect pretty much all food for awhile.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Apparently those 'trends' passed us by completely. I associate all of those with old-time foodways and forager types (hence my confusion at your reference to them as trends) but don't believe I have ever seen them on a menu in the KC area. I gather the trendier NYC area restaurants over-utilized them? How long did the 'trend' last? In the old days, before food was FedEx'd routinely, I would think it just hadn't found its way to us here in The Heartland yet but we're generally only a few steps behind the coasts now, so if it's over for you, I guess we missed it entirely.

I am curious, now, if Chicago experienced this. If someone there could weigh-in I would be interested to know.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

butternut squash.

Ah, but have you tried roasting it in finger-sized chunks (peeled, and tossed in salt and evoo) until just browned around the edges and soft in the middle, then sprinkling with just a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon, back into the oven for five minutes, then eating (preferably with pork)? It's gooooood :raz:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

I'm well and heartily sick of beets, but I'm afraid they haven't jumped the shark on menus quite yet.

I never was a beet person myself, but they seem to be invading a lot of preparations this past year, and not in a good way. Beets don't work for me, but beets and seafood REALLY doesn't work for me.

Here's one I wish was over: piling the GD meat on top of the GD mashed potatoes (or polenta or whatever starchy veg). How are you supposed to cut the meat without smooshing the potatoes all over your plate? Foods touching is one thing: piling them up in the middle of the plate is another. Disgusting.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali