• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alexanders at Limpsfield

Sorry - off topic  but........

This is not my favourite establishment at the moment. We are in Bray this weekend and can't get down in time for the lunch slot offered to us at the Hind's Head. So I rang the Riverside Brasserie -no answer- so I tried four further times- all at a reasonable hour. Still, no bugger deigned to pick the bloody phone up, nor was there an answer machine. Gaaah :angry:

As you were- rant over.

You do know Heston isn't involved any more?

Is it even still operating?

Jay

This is not my favourite establishment at the moment. We are in Bray this weekend and can't get down in time for the lunch slot offered to us at the Hind's Head. So I rang the Riverside Brasserie -no answer- so I tried four further times- all at a reasonable hour. Still, no bugger deigned to pick the bloody phone up, nor was there an answer machine. Gaaah :angry:

As you were- rant over.

it is closed over winter for about 5 months i believe, its now owned by Garrey Dawson and partners

As you were- rant over.

it is closed over winter for about 5 months i believe, its now owned by Garrey Dawson and partners

Yeah, i thought it was closed at the moment too..

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Yes thanks, I had read that Heston B. had given up his share. But for the love of god- closed for allegedly five months :shock: and they don't have the decency to leave a friggin recorded message to that effect. That is poor beyond belief.

Yes thanks, I had read that Heston B. had given up his share. But for the love of god- closed for allegedly five months  :shock: and they don't have the decency to leave a friggin recorded message to that effect.  That is poor beyond belief.

The (annoying) website says that it will reopen on 31st March 2006 - so they're not very good at keeping that information correct either...

• 2 months later...

Nice piece on Simon in this week's Caterer's Menuwatch page.Will link it when it appears on the site.Funny thing is , turn the page and you get advice in the"INFO ZONE" on how to get the media to review your restaurant. :biggrin:

• 4 months later...

The mention of Simon on another thread made me go back to the Alexanders website.They are advertising dinners for September,the rest of the content is still pretty poor.Also can't find any mention of who the current chef is, the key personel section is disabled.

Our journey from East Croydon was effortless, unfortunately when we got to Oxted the taxi rank was empty “you hardly see any on a Sunday” advised the stationmaster and the newsagent. The taxi office was closed and a call to the local minicab firm told me that she only had two cars working and they were both miles away. There is no bus service on a Sunday. Fortunately, after prowling around for 20 minutes or so, working out what we were going to do, a taxi did turn up and helped us on our merry way, he wouldn’t be working when we finished though but we decided to worry about that later. On a more positive note the taxi ride was short – short enough that you could probably walk it in fifteen minutes or so.

You never told us how you got home.

• 4 months later...

hi everyone

looking through old threads this afternoon!

Cannot believe what has happenned to this restaurant, has anybody seen the website recently www.alexanders-limpsfield.co.uk

Possibly one of the worst restaurant websites and menu i have ever seen, even poorer than when they first opened, at least the food looked intresting then!

Does anyone know what happenned to the first chef? where he has gone? what happenned?

Lizzy

oh my good lord, just spent some more time on their website. what is Easton mess, is it made of steel? on the table d'hote, two main courses with mash the other two with chips! the only thing i fancy is fish of the day but i would lay money that the waiter would have to spend five minutes at the table describing how the fish was nestling on a bed of something silly.

Matt Christmas.