• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

bottega

riboflavinjoe

We had some good pizza at bottega tonight. Anyone else been there? We had the quattro formaggi and the rucola pizze, very good crispy thin chewy crust out of their wood oven. 65 st zotique east.

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I had read about it and wanted to try it, seeing as James MacGuire consulted on the crust and the guy actually went to Naples to learn how to make pizza.

But . . . I now hear the lineups are crazy and I won't wait in line for pizza. I also wonder of the quality will be any less due to the increase in business - I would hope the owners are realistic about considering how many high-quality pies they can turn out per hour (or day) without sacrificing quality.

For now I will make my own . . . and wait until the hype simmers down or they open for lunch.

• 4 weeks later...

I went there a while ago. The ambiance and staff is very nice and friendly, pretty upscale. The pizza was good, but not great to my taste. Maybe it's because I haven't tasted the original italian stuff...

Went there at 9:30, after the rush. Our pizzas were excellent, and the closest to Italian-style pizza we've ever found here: no tomato paste or heavy spices in the sauce, very few toppings, and a crust that is crispy without being hard.

I thought the lighting was very good: even, soft (and flattering!). I am prone to light-induced headaches so that is an important consideration for me.

Edited by Venusia (log)