• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In the market for a new stove/range/oven

tafkap4d

I spent most of yesterday with partner looking for kitchen appliances. The refrigerator was the easy part but I am confused when I am selecting a range.

I am favoring the KA Stainless Steel | KERA205PSS but am open.

I cook quite a bit and I currently have a GE and am only upgrading because of new home and we want stainless. I don't have thousands to spend on a stove and unfortunately, I have to stick with electric (I really wish I could have a gas oven)...maybe next time. Right now my budget is around $1,500 - can I get anything good for that?

Any suggestions? Thank you.

:biggrin:

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

If you're going for stainless steel and are up for a more professional kitchen look, I'd suggest you check out a place like Restaurant Depot or BigTray.com.

You won't get a brand like Viking or Wolf (consumer brands), but I think you get a whole lot more for the money and stuff (if you pick right) that will surely last.

Good luck!

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I spent most of yesterday with partner looking for kitchen appliances.  The refrigerator was the easy part but I am confused when I am selecting a range.

I am favoring the KA Stainless Steel | KERA205PSS but am open.

I cook quite a bit and I currently have a GE and am only upgrading because of new home and we want stainless.  I don't have thousands to spend on a stove and unfortunately, I have to stick with electric (I really wish I could have a gas oven)...maybe next time.  Right now my budget is around $1,500 - can I get anything good for that?

Any suggestions?  Thank you.    

:biggrin:

Don't do it. Seriously. I have had mine about 1 year and I am seriously considering Craigslisting or eBaying it to someone who wants something that looks pretty but who doesn't cook. The front panel is glued on. The self cleaning cycle will melt the glue, unsealing the control panel. I had it replaced once because it had come loose and moisture must have gotten into it. I couldn't turn the oven off. I plugged the range into a powerstrip until the repair company could order the part and schedule to put it in. Didn't really give me a warm fuzzy my-house-won't-burn-down feeling, ya know? The smaller burners on high do nothing. The oven racks are too close together to put trays of anything but the flatest cookies in a the same time. I haven't found the convection to be helpful with anything. The broiler turns itself off. I do have the gas version, but can't imagine the electric to be different, especially where the control panel is concerned.

Um... anyone want to buy a range?

eta: I had a $900 GE in our last house and liked it better. When I replace this one, I'll likely get another GE.

Edited by Marmish (log)

I won't buy a KA large appliance again :angry: . I tried in Sept. to replace my 27 year old Kenmore electric side opening (oh why oh why don't N.A. manufactures provide side opening wall ovens - we are light years behind Europe) with a KA wall oven and it was a horror show that played itself out over 3 months. The oven was installed ok but proceeded to lock itself shut withing 5 minutes of the installer leaving and it took KA 6 weeks to get a repair man there who admitted that it needed new electronics. KA wanted to replace the nonfunctioning "board" with a repaired one and I declined wanting a new one. Replacing the oven with a new one would take over three months as there were none in N.A. - hard to belive that!!!. To date this had taken three months and they thought I should wait another three months for a new oven. I had already cooked on the bbq Oct. Nov. and most of Dec. In late Dec. they took it back and returned my money with which I bought a Bosch and I have never looked back. It's fabulous :wub: .... the Bosch that is.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

The control panel on an older GE electric range that I had in a second home in Florida recently crapped out and I was informed that it would cost $450 + labor to replace it. I opted to shop for a new range. Since I have never shopped for an electric range (no other options available), I sought the advice of some neighbors and friends on the features that I should be looking for.

I started (and finished) my shopping at Home Depot since I had a store credit of nearly $600. I fully expected to walk out with a GE Profile. After it was said and done, I ended purchasing this unit manufactured by LG. The price was $1,299 (+ tax) with delivery, installation, and removal of the old unit included. I added 4 years to the 1 year warranty for an additional $89. The model has all of the features that I was looking for plus several other appealing features that I didn't expect.

Since I am at this particular house about 30% of the time, and eat out often when I am there, I have only used the new range 4 or 5 times. So far, I have been very pleased. Maybe there are others out there who can better comment about a longer term experience with LG ranges.

In any event, you may want to check it out.

I recently (about a month ago) purchased a GE Profile, the model 916. My budget was right about yours, and The Great Indoors had a good sale (5% off, 10% off by mail) that brought this $1650 model down below the threshold. It's a great piece. The burners are higher output, up to 17000 btu, the electronic controls work well, the oven temp is actually correct(!!!), and it looks great.

I really wanted:

- continuous grates, these are nice and heavy

- center burner for oblong items

- convection oven

- stainless/black

I also got with this model:

- interior meat thermometer (that I'll probably never use, I have a probe already)

- wide range of simmer to power boil burners

- electric warming drawer

- griddle insert for center burner (ok, but I'd rather use a larger cast iron one)

The GEs are very highly regarded on Consumer Reports, as well as people I talked to and forums I read. Cleaning a black surface with stainless cladding is a pain, but it's worth the look to me.

I'm new here, but assume you have PMs on this forum - feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions that I might be able to answer about this model or the GE models in this price range. They seem to offer the best value, at least IMHO...

Good luck with your choice!!!

Hey - you don't have to rub it in that I don't have gas. :(

Only kidding - you did not waste the space, I really appreciate the insight.

I had a gas range only once - fresh out of college and married with a husband...I couldn't cook one bit back then. I already informed partner that our next home I was a dual range.

Thanks again, everyone.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

If I don't have gas, I think I'd get an induction burner and a little varona oven. I am currently in the same boat myself...My dream is to have a DCS or a Thermodor but my apartment is only 450 sq ft so I am settling for a 30 inch Bosch Integra 700 in stainless steel. Not sure if it's the right choice though.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.