• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thai in Orange County

leviathan

Any recommendations? I know there's a thread about Thai places for LA, but I didn't see any recommendations for the Orange County area even though I've passed by a number of Thai places behind the Orange Curtain.

My old post mentioned 2 Thai places in Cypress:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1285810

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Actually I think there is a pretty decent Thai population in Orange County so lots of little restaurants and take-out places dot the landscape. That being the case, I don't really know of any actual sit-down or fancy type Thai restaurants in the area but if you want some nice noodles or curry, start exploring right in your own neighborhood. I've had nice meals in the past at Diho Siam here in Costa Mesa (Newport Blvd. @ Harbor).

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Even with the huge Thai population in Southern California, we still find most of it a wasteland when looking for good Thai.

We've read rave reviews of many of LA's Thai standards and usually come away quite disappointed.

I really believe that most of these people like what they are told to like.

-----

Thai Nakorn, on Garden Grove Blvd, has always been in contention for the best Thai in the States.

The bad news is that it was gutted by fire about a month ago.

The good news is that they plan to rebuild, ASAP.

Keep your ears and eyes open!

Just south of the 22 Freeway, on Grand, there is a hole-in-the-wall called Bangkok Taste.

It is truly a hidden gem.

I really looks like nothing from the outside, but is comfortable inside.

They have an interesting menu.

Although we haven't tried it yet, it is one of the few places I have seen khao soy, a curry noodle dish from Chiang Mai.

The larb is great.

Their coconut ice cream is fantastic!

We have enjoyed everything we have tried so far, and found it to be quite authentic.

It's definitely more than your typical "Chinese with peanuts and chilis" Thai place.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

In defense of OC thai, MOST of this country is a wasteland when searching for good thai, simply for the fact that there exists so few decent thai restaurants. The fact that we have one reliable and even famous restaurant in Thai Nakorn is a blessing.

The whole cuisine is a constant dissapointment. Almost any other cuisine, if you sample long enough, you'll find a couple of reliable restaurants. But for whatever reason, finding a good thai restaurants is like finding a winning lottery ticket. It's so elusive just to find one restaurant that doesn't indulge their dishes with sugar. I don't care if there is a large thai population. I am convinced that this cuisine has a lower frequency of decent restaurants than almost any other cuisines.

Edited by savvysearch (log)

I have not tasted any Thai food until arriving America. It would be hard for me to know what's "good" Thai versus "not so good" Thai. The American general public probably has the same question about what's "good" and "not so good" on Chinese food. Without having living in that country, and a few-day visiting may not be enough, it's hard to know what's "good".

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

In defense of OC thai, MOST of this country is a wasteland when searching for good thai, simply for the fact that there exists so few decent thai restaurants. The fact that we have one reliable and even famous restaurant in Thai Nakorn is a blessing.

The whole cuisine is a constant dissapointment. Almost any other cuisine, if you sample long enough, you'll find a couple of reliable restaurants. But for whatever reason, finding a good thai restaurants is like finding a winning lottery ticket. It's so elusive just to find one restaurant that doesn't indulge their dishes with sugar. I don't care if there is a large thai population. I am convinced that this cuisine has a lower frequency of decent restaurants than almost any other cuisines.

Thai Nakorn opened a store in Mission Viejo.

In order to survive, even they started to tone it down and sugar it up.

They have since sold the place and wish the new owners would change the name!

I have found that with most restaurants, and most cuisines, it's a matter of finding what dish, or dishes, made them think they could cook.

It is very rare for a Thai joint to be great across the entire menu.

Even in Thailand, most eateries have a dish or two that keep bringing the locals back.

This is especially true in smaller restaurants, where the kitchen is inhabited by a family.

The culinary skills will be limited in scope.

In Bangkok, we never go out for "Thai food".

With the exception of seafood, we go out for a specific dish.

Even with seafood we have favorite spots for some dishes.

With cuisines such as Thai, I think it's best to recommend specific dishes when suggesting a restaurant.

It can really make the difference for someone visiting for the first time.

Even with the huge Thai population in Southern California, we still find most of it a wasteland when looking for good Thai.

We've read rave reviews of many of LA's Thai standards and usually come away quite disappointed.

I really believe that most of these people like what they are told to like.

Thai Nakorn, on Garden Grove Blvd, has always been in contention for the best Thai in the States.

Just as a point of reference, how does Thai Nakorn compare to Sripraphai in NYC. From the NY Forum, I got the gist that Thai food in NYC, with the exception of a few places like S., were mediocre. That actually surprises me more than bad Thai in Orange County because I always thought that NYC had a larger Thai population and was thus more likely able to support great Thai food. (It was kind of fascinating, in a voyeuristic car crash of way, to read the outrage about the NYTimes reviewing Sripraphai. Turns out the NYTimes is geared towards the rich and powerful and should never review a place, no matter how great the food, because the restaurant is in Queens. :rolleyes: )

I haven't sampled that much Thai around the country.

I have yet to even make it to Las Vegas' Lotus of Siam, the real "Renu Nakorn

LA has a huge Thai population and OC has Vietnamese. Although OC also has a good population of Thai, I believe that the Vietnamese tastes will support authentic Thai too.

Every Southeast Asian I have asked for Thai recommendations has put Thai Nakorn at the top of their list.

I could have every critic, from every paper, from every city pan or praise a joint, and I'll still go with the the locals every time!

People that drop in to screen a place can't expect to "get it" in a single visit.