• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to cook beef shank?

Sony

Saw a nice piece of beef shank at a Korean market in NYC...at least I think it's a nice piece. I've never cooked beef shank before :raz: .

Suggestions, please? I assume I'll need to braise it, but flavorings/other cooking methods are welcome!

Saw a nice piece of beef shank at a Korean market in NYC...at least I think it's a nice piece. I've never cooked beef shank before  :raz: .

Suggestions, please? I assume I'll need to braise it, but flavorings/other cooking methods are welcome!

I like to braise them with lots of good red wine, kosher salt and whole black pepper corns (about 1/4 cup actually) and plenty fresh sliced garlic ...

that is it just braise until it falls off the bone and the peppercorns are tender... serve with mashed potatoes

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I use beef shank, bone in when purchased if possible, as my preferred stewing/braising meat. As beef shank is not rich in fat, the lower the braising temperature and the longer the braise the better. The same goes for stewing, the closer the temp is kept to a simmer and not a slow boil the better (a good slow cooker here is probably ideal). Any liquid (water, stock, beer, wine, soy sauce, tomato, etc.) , and seasoning your heart's desire will do. With stews veg are added during the stew and with braising veg are added at the end as a garnish.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

I agree. Slow braise. I use it to make sort of stroganoff in the slow cooker - a little water, some beef stock if I have it, maybe red wine or sherry, lots of onions, s&p. Cook it on low allllll day. Stir in the sour cream at the end.

For some reason there've been cross-cut shanks at the grocery store all the time lately. I'm in heaven.

Jennie

These days I would rather boil than braise. It's a cleaner and lighter way of cooking. A little onion, carrot, a piece of fennel. Barely simmering. Two to four hours depending on the size. Serve with a ladle or two of the resulting broth, carefully seasoned . And then horseradish on the side.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Sounds good ned. It is a little cold for me right now to want something that clean, but am definitely going to keep that in mind.

And jeniac42, cross cuts are the bomb! I ask them to cross cut them if they aren't that way already.

Happiness. :biggrin:

Add a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary (dried works) to your braise. I love beef and rosemary together. Fresh (or dried) thyme is nice, too. And chopped, fresh parsley at the end. Oh, just pick a herb or two and use it. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Oooooo...I made a great cross-cut shank recipe the other night.

Brown the shanks and set aside. Sweat some onions. Deglaze the pan with a wee bit of balsamic vinegar. Stir in two smashed garlic cloves and about a teaspoon or so of Mediterranean oregano. Add a tin of whole tomatoes (breaking them up) and the beef.

Braise until the beef is fork tender. Take the beef out, put in another pan/roaster, and return to the oven.

Run the braising liquid through the blender to make a sauce.

Cook some pasta.

Serve it all together. Yum!