• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oscars Party

sisofdiva2

I'm hosting an Oscars party next week and wanted to serve substantial appetizers and desserts based on the five films nominated for best picture (The Queen, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, The Departed, and Letters from Iwo Jima).

I know for the Queen there's all sorts of British food that could be made (scones and such), but I'm pretty stumped on the others (especially as I've seen NONE of the above films yet).

I don't care if it's kitschy, as long as the food's good! Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Oh PS- Someone gave me the idea of making red velvet cupcakes, a la the Red Carpet...yes, yes, corny... :raz:

See how this looks:

from All Recipes.com

Babel

Lamb Tagine

Sweet and Nutty Moroccan Couscous

Smoked Salmon Sushi Roll

Mexican Wedding Cakes II

Mint Tea Punch

The Departed

Stovetop Yankee Pot Roast

Boston Baked Beans

Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts

Boston Cream Pie II

Cape Cod

Letters from Iwo JimaGyoza

Chicken Katsu

Japanese-Style Sesame Green Beans

Green Tea Layer Cake

Whiskey Slush

Little Miss SunshineOlive Lovers Dip

Sunshine Chicken

Screaming Potatoes

Sunshine Toast

Madeleines

The Queen

Beef Wellington

Queen-of-Hearts Salad

Queen Elizabeth Cake II

Pink Princess Cake

Daddy Charles's Spooley

And how about something from Kazakhstan for Borat? :laugh:Kazakh cuisine ...

Kazakhstan Salad

Fish a la Irtysh

Kespe (Noodles) a la Kazakh

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

my friend is hosting the same type of party- I'm thinking about the foreign films- any ideas for german appetizers (ala The Lives of Others)

These are just generic suggestions as I've not seen the movie:

Obatzda (german version of Austro-Hungarian Liptauer Cheese which uses Camembert) I'd serve this with Rye or Pumpernickel bread.

Pickled Herring or Rollmops ("plain" with onions, etc or in a cream or mustard sauce) You can buy these in German/Austrian/Polish delis. Also good with rye bread.

Stuffed eggs with a slice of anchovy or anchovy paste on top or caviar, Another excellent stuffed egg variant is to mix the yolks with horseradish, lemon, mayo, s&p)

Steak tartare with egg yolk, capers, anchovy, seasonings and served with minced onions and sliced pickles. Can serve on rye or pumpernickel.

Buttered rye bread topped with very thin slices of Westphalian Ham or Bundnerfleisch (air dried beef similar to Bresaola)

Other German coldcuts are Leberkase, Nusschinken, Schinkenspeck, Headcheese, etc. These could be served on a platter with German pickles, pickled mushrooms and Emmentaler swiss cheese

A Fleischsalat (meat salad) (a good quality cubed Bologna type coldcut + swiss cheese, onions, olive or canola oil, white vinegar, salt and pepper, perhaps, mustard)

Other types of Fleischsalat use diced cold beef, tongue or ham and have additions of dill pickles, capers, parsley, mustard, boiled potatoes. Marinate in oil, vinegar and cool beef stock. Top with sliced boiled eggs.

The Fleischsalats are not seen so often here anymore but they deserve to be better known. They are extremely tasty.

Have you seen the movie? Is it worth seeing?

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Ham - In honor of all the Nominees :biggrin:

Pasta Puttanesca - For the Starlet Wannabes :rolleyes:

Hot Dogs - For the Heart Throb Wannabes :wacko:

Sour Grapes - For the Losers :sad:

Over-Ripe Tomatos - For the Audience (for over-long acceptance speeches) :angry:

Raw Eggs - For the Audience (for political speeches) :raz:

Fig Leaves - To augment some of the designer gowns :blink:

Prunes ("stage name" Dried Plums) - For all those who are a bit Full of Themselves :wink:

SB (as you may have guessed, doesn't watch the show)

Raw Eggs - For the Audience (for political speeches) :raz:

SB (as you may have guessed, doesn't watch the show)

Shouldn't that be ROTTEN eggs (which are always raw, of course)?

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I'm hosting an Oscars party next week and wanted to serve substantial appetizers and desserts based on the five films nominated for best picture (The Queen, Babel, Little Miss Sunshine, The Departed, and Letters from Iwo Jima).

I know for the Queen there's all sorts of British food that could be made (scones and such), but I'm pretty stumped on the others (especially as I've seen NONE of the above films yet).

I don't care if it's kitschy, as long as the food's good!  Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Oh PS- Someone gave me the idea of making red velvet cupcakes, a la the Red Carpet...yes, yes, corny... :raz:

My friend Miles is so good at this...let me get his opinion and get back to you...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Perhaps another suggestion for a German appetizer/snack would be homemade soft pretzels.

(I've not tried making them myself yet)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I've come up with "We've got you by the KOENIGSBERGER KLOPS" for my german/the Lives of Others dish!!!

I thought of you and your part when I saw that Lives of Others won last night!

Did you end of making the Koenigsberger Klopse? That was a great idea; I've always wanted to make them. They sound like a great meatball dish with the anchovy and lemon zest in the meatballs and the accompanying sour cream, lemon, and caper sauce.

And how did your get together turn out, sisofdiva2?

Edited by ludja (log)

• 4 years later...

I couldn't find a more recent thread so I decided to resurrect this one. Anyone with creative ideas?

I will have a small group of a wide age range and would love suggestions - themed to this year's nominees or not.

Cheers,

Anne

Thanks janeer.

I know nothing of southern cooking but luckily I discovered that epicurious has a whole section devoted to hosting an Oscars party including menus and recipes. Chocolate Cream Pie is there.

Cheers,

Anne