• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Foods

SheenaGreena

It was great! I was hoping I'd see you in it, but I did see your girlfriend so at least I recognized one person.

Was the dead body stew chunggukjang? He never said the name of the soup so I could never figure it out. I figured thats what it was though.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 4 weeks later...

Durian?

I definitely would not eat much of what he eats but I cannot understand why he did not like Durian!

Maybe the ability to enjoy durian might be genetic?

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

Maybe, but I doubt it. Lots of people don't like durian. It isn't like we're talking about a common food (ie. salt). It's hard to assume that people should generally be fond of durian. And I imagine that a large part of why people aren't generally enthusiastic about it is it's odor. It's largely cultural, too, I'm sure.

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Lots of people don't like durian.  It isn't like we're talking about a common food (ie. salt).  It's hard to assume that people should generally be fond of durian.  And I imagine that a large part of why people aren't generally enthusiastic about it is it's odor.  It's largely cultural, too, I'm sure.

there are many foods that some folks love and others can't stand and still others don't care one way or the other, e.g., cilantro which some folks say tastes like soap and others love, chilis which some folks tolerate and others cannot tolerate, stink tofu (do fu ru/funyu), moldy cheeses, tarragon, dairy products where some are lactose intolerant and others are not, etc., etc....and the list goes on...and it does not seem to be cultural...cultural differences probably include whether it seems natural to eat offal, various "odd" animals...not to eat some animals for religious reasons, etc.

a former boss of mine told me of a class he took where the professor gave everyone in the class a small white pill and asked everyone to put the pill on their tongue...he then asked those who thought the pill tasted salty to raise their hand and about half the class did so...he then asked who though it tasted sweet and again about half the class raised their hand...he then asked who though it was tasteless and a few raised their hands...it was the same pill for everyone...the difference in taste was caused by genetic makeup!

the fact that the bizarre foods guy can eat almost anything but almost threw up with durian made me think that it might be genetic.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

• 5 weeks later...

I watched a few shows recently and frankly I am still puzzled as to why something like that is allowed to be on TV.

In the show, Zimmern is not really seeking the unusual or the culturally different... instead he seems to be seeking things that he feels would create an emotional response from his viewers (generally disgust). I bet most curious food enthusiasts who had the chance to travel a bit (or to live in a cosmopolitan city) tried most of the food Zimmers tries in the show so the effect of the images presented to them is probably not very strong to start with.

Most annoying is the fact that Zimmern (or the producer) is not letting local people talk or provide the cultural background needed to understand the food presented in the show (there are fortunately a few exceptions). As a matter of fact, he often interrupts rudely his hosts or guests to take center stage with what is presented as some kind of (immature) stunt eats.

If he had something interesting to say, I would probably not care that much about the lack of dialogue with locals or experts but most of his monologues are uninspired and often quite insipid.

To his defense however, Zimmern does seem quite enthusiast about what he is doing. I bet he is a much more interesting person in real life and that it is the very concept of the show that make him look so annoying, rude and narrow-minded. I'm almost hoping that Zimmern get a second chance in a different type of show because this one is really not flattering.

I watched a few shows recently and frankly I am still puzzled as to why something like that is allowed to be on TV.

In the show, Zimmern is not really seeking the unusual or the culturally different... instead he seems to be seeking things that he feels would create an emotional response from his viewers (generally disgust). I bet most curious food enthusiasts who had the chance to travel a bit (or to live in a cosmopolitan city) tried most of the food Zimmers tries in the show so the effect of the images presented to them is probably not very strong to start with.

Most annoying is the fact that Zimmern (or the producer) is not letting local people talk or provide the cultural background needed to understand the food presented in the show (there are fortunately a few exceptions). As a matter of fact, he often interrupts rudely his hosts or guests to take center stage with what is presented as some kind of (immature) stunt eats.

If he had something interesting to say, I would probably not care that much about the lack of dialogue with locals or experts but most of his monologues are uninspired and often quite insipid.

To his defense however, Zimmern does seem quite enthusiast about what he is doing. I bet he is a much more interesting person in real life and that it is the very concept of the show that make him look so annoying, rude and narrow-minded. I'm almost hoping that Zimmern get a second chance in a different type of show because this one is really not flattering.

This is the most accurate depiction I’ve read so far. Bravo. He’s horrible. His camera presence, interaction with locals/providing background content, cockiness, and yes, outright rudeness. (I remember watching a few episodes and remarking he never says “thank you” nor attempts to speak the native language or show much interest in the culture.) I was shocked to see his show renewed. I just don’t get it. I love when Bourdain pokes fun at him. Pretty sure he can’t stand him either.

That wasn't chicken