• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Foods

SheenaGreena

I read Kitchen Confidential when it first came out, which reveals the true Bourdain. He can be sarcastic, strange, dark, depressed, and more than a little crazy, but I can't see him as pretentious. If anything, he pokes fun at any elements in the show that might seem pretentious.

Seems like a real guy to me.

After watching an episode of "Have Fork, Will Travel" with Zane Lamprey, I'm having to rethink my definition of annoying, condescending, and cultural alienation in general........apologies to Mr. Zimmern because I had no idea someone else would set the bar so much higher so quickly.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

After watching an episode of "Have Fork, Will Travel" with Zane Lamprey, I'm having to rethink my definition of annoying, condescending, and cultural alienation in general........apologies to Mr. Zimmern because I had no idea someone else would set the bar so much higher so quickly.

Swoosh!!!

• 1 month later...

Travel Channel's been running a lot of back-to-back Zimmern lately, and lately I've become quite a fan of his show. I really enjoyed the episode on Taiwan, the one on Vietnam and even the Gulf region (mainly because I'm eager to cook nutria). I still want to know what that deep-fried mullet roe tastes like for him to rank it worse than anything he's tried.

• 7 months later...

Andrew Zimmern and crew are here in Portland Maine filming a show this week.

The schedule has included a look at Browne Trading, foraging for mushrooms among the Maine pines, digging surf clams with a local sushi chef, and something on a boat up around Deer Isle. A couple of restaurants will be featured and a big event on Sunday with which I will be involved (I can't reveal anything at this point but I'll try and take some pictures to post later).

During show prep last week, producer Kel and I contemplated some footage of a scuba diver jumping into the water for some scallops - and sea urchins if we can find them - possibly taking a camera down with us. I was able to locate the exact underwater camera housing they need in nearby Massachusetts, but I think it's more involved than we all realize, and maybe a diver just splashing around will do.

Stay tuned.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Predictably, the shooting schedule has been hijacked by dubious weather and logistical snafus. Surf clam portion rescheduled for today and the diving portion has been scrapped altogether :angry: Fine with me: I won't have to freeze my ass in a wet-suit.

I caught up with Andrew and the crew last night at Hugo's while they were wrapping up a long day of restaurant segments. Hugo's Chef Rob Evans is this year's James Beard Foundation nominee for Best Chef in the Northeast, and he was hanging out while cables were coiled and beers were poured.

A couple of Rob's desserts were presented. The script boss and I marveled over some cheesecake that was served with white balsamic sorbet and rasberries. Then there was a trio of things, one of which was served in a shot glass, but I only got a taste of some honey foam. Wow.

These were my first bites of Rob's extraordinary creations. No wonder he has made waves in the culinary universe. The whole crew said that Portland Maine's food scene was unexpectedly impressive - which means a lot from a traveling TV food show in my book.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

i've heard the book store rabelais may get some mention, and/or a visit. i hope so, this is an amazingly good resource for both old and new books for all things cooking related.

i discovered rabelais last summer on vacation and continue to mailorder books from them. nice people too.

i've heard the book store rabelais may get some mention, and/or a visit. i hope so, this is an amazingly good resource for both old and new books for all things cooking related.

i discovered rabelais last summer on vacation and continue to mailorder books from them. nice people too.

They are indeed. It turns out, Samantha, a co-owner, knew Andrew in school and suggested building a show around Portland Maine. Click Here for a report on the big Deathmatch cook-off on an island out in Casco Bay last Sunday that was taped for the TV show. It was a blast. After the show airs I can fill in some blanks and add more pictures.

Portland Food Map.com

• 2 months later...

Just a note that Eun Jeong and I at the ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal have been helping "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" scout locations, give food suggestions and supply Korean guides for their shoot in Korea this past week. I've kept up with the production and have tagged along with the crew on a couple of shoots, and I can say right now that it's going to be a good show. Much better than "No Reservations" in Korea (Bourdain still rocks).

As a bonus, Eun Jeong represented ZenKimchi for an entire act and got a lot of face time on camera. Poor girl ate some stuff that she had never had before and complained that she had never eaten so much food in her life afterward.

I'll also note that Zimmern is quite entertaining on and off camera and has a generous demeanor.

Okay, enough starstruck fanboy talk. Just had to let it out.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Just a note that Eun Jeong and I at the ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal have been helping "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" scout locations, give food suggestions and supply Korean guides for their shoot in Korea this past week.  I've kept up with the production and have tagged along with the crew on a couple of shoots, and I can say right now that it's going to be a good show.  Much better than "No Reservations" in Korea (Bourdain still rocks).

As a bonus, Eun Jeong represented ZenKimchi for an entire act and got a lot of face time on camera.  Poor girl ate some stuff that she had never had before and complained that she had never eaten so much food in her life afterward. 

I'll also note that Zimmern is quite entertaining on and off camera and has a generous demeanor. 

Okay, enough starstruck fanboy talk.  Just had to let it out.

Oboy! Have they said when it'll be aired?

:smile:

Just a note that Eun Jeong and I at the ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal have been helping "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern" scout locations, give food suggestions and supply Korean guides for their shoot in Korea this past week. I've kept up with the production and have tagged along with the crew on a couple of shoots, and I can say right now that it's going to be a good show. Much better than "No Reservations" in Korea (Bourdain still rocks).

What network is this show on? I've never heard of the show before as I basically live under a rock when it comes to TV programming.

Can you comment on some of the things they'll be covering?

What network is this show on? I've never heard of the show before as I basically live under a rock when it comes to TV programming.

Can you comment on some of the things they'll be covering?

It's on the Travel Channel. If it's on in Asia, it'd be on Discovery Asia. It was back-to-back with "No Reservations," but the network is splitting the two to different evenings because they each get powerful ratings and could tentpole new shows.

I can't talk about specifically what was eaten. You could guess a good many. There's one major surprise food in there, which I didn't know existed in Korea and, of course, didn't eat until the show filmed it. It was expensive, too.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

It's on the Travel Channel. If it's on in Asia, it'd be on Discovery Asia.

'Bizzare Foods' is broadcast in Asia. In most of Asia, it's on Discovery's 'Travel and Living' channel. Schedules: http://asia.discovery.com/index.shtml

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I can't talk about specifically what was eaten. You could guess a good many. There's one major surprise food in there, which I didn't know existed in Korea and, of course, didn't eat until the show filmed it. It was expensive, too.

See? Now I feel compelled to guess. Anyone else like to play along?

I'm guessing:

saeng nakji (d'uh)

bbeonddaegi

sea slug

bosingtang

dolphin and/or whale

loach (just for the name)

periwinkles

soondae, not because I think it's weird, but many people might from the look of it.

live steamed shrimp

...pretty much anything they sell in those seaside restaurants, actually - the stuff that dwells in tanks...

Cass and Hite.

Chocopie.

I'm guessing:

saeng nakji (d'uh)

bbeonddaegi

sea slug

bosingtang

dolphin and/or whale

periwinkles

soondae, not because I think it's weird, but many people might from the look of it.

live steamed shrimp

...pretty much anything they sell in those seaside restaurants, actually - the stuff that dwells in tanks...

Cass and Hite.

Chocopie.

Dongdongju!

And soju.....lots and lots of soju! :smile:

I'm guessing:

saeng nakji (d'uh)

bbeonddaegi

sea slug

bosingtang

dolphin and/or whale

periwinkles

live steamed shrimp

Cass and Hite.

Chocopie.

You got a couple of them and one that was planned but turned out to be a bust. I'll tell right off that Andrew doesn't drink, so he didn't try any alcohol. That didn't mean that his fellow diners didn't.

I'm guessing:

saeng nakji (d'uh)

bbeonddaegi

sea slug

bosingtang

dolphin and/or whale

periwinkles

live steamed shrimp

Cass and Hite.

Chocopie.

You got a couple of them and one that was planned but turned out to be a bust. I'll tell right off that Andrew doesn't drink, so he didn't try any alcohol. That didn't mean that his fellow diners didn't.

There's gotta be some kopjang, yes? Everybody loves kopjang.

How about the raw minced chicken feet they do in Kwangju?

• 7 months later...

The Maine show was great - we have seen it several times. I'm surprised to see few people on eGullet who like Zimmern's show. We watched most of the "marathon" yesterday and enjoyed i thoroughly. His trip to an Indian spice farm was fascinating. I am NOT especially a fan of bizarre foods - would eat an insect only if truly desperate - but I like the show and AZ very much.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

Actually, I'm a fan too. I probably don't rank it as high as Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations but I think the show succeeds in what it aims to do -pure entertainment!

I don't have to think too much (always embraced) and it just gets me all giddy and excited heh. There's always something about 'weird'/'disgusting' food that causes my eyes to light up. Bizarre Foods really feeds my curiosity of the 'unknown foods'. And besides that, Andrew features a lot of de-li-ciousss goodies as well so I ain't complaining.

I do wish he had been more respectful/sensitive of peoples' feelings in a few episodes though. I recall him offending a man in Indonesia (or was it Malaysia?) over durian. Tsk tsk. It happens though.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

I am a fan of the show and have been for a while now. It's great to see all the different places he goes and the types of food they eat, local delicassies and such. Big fun!

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child