• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bizarre Foods

SheenaGreena

The food on the shows that i have seen including last night's show are about food that is only bizarre to someone else not familiar with a culture/cusine. I think the show is well done, tactful and most of the times probably tasteful(Pun Intended). A bright light for the Travel Channel in a sea of Food Channel crap.-Dick

Thought it was not a bad show at all. I actually added it to my DVR list (at least for now). I didnt really see it as demeaning to other cultures. The people he ate with seemed amused that he, a westerner, was eating what seems to them every day non-bizarre foods. A lot of laughter, etc. If anyone was offended on TV, they sure didnt act like it.

I watched the Philippines episode and thought it was OK.

Some interesting locations and food. That underground river trip was pretty cool.

My first episode, so I'm not sure if it was representative.

I can't say I saw anything offensive or insulting to the culture in question.

It is just him going around seeing sites, eating what he considers unusual food, and commenting on it.

It would be nice to get a bit more cultural insight, information, or commentary.

He should film in the Midwest and do a show about Lutefisk and Lefse dinners! I'd love to see his response to Rommegrot.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

okay, I really enjoyed the phillipino food show. Its more food based than no reservations....that show seems like its steering away from food lately.

I really wanted to try those whole deep fried chickens, why were they red? were they marinated in chiles?

The weirdest and bizarrest (is that a word?) thing on the show was the cheese and yam ice cream in a hamburger bun - made me laugh

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

I like the premise of the show. I think the show could be so much more if they got a better producer and frankly I don't think the host is all that engaging. He just seems like an average Joe.

I did really like the clip of him eating the rancid meat and then slapping his head in anguish.

It is also interesting that travel channel seems to have more engaging food related shows than the food network but that is a tread already covered.

Soup

I was excited for this show but his behavior at the durian farmer really turned me off. No respect! Even Bourdain ate the whole damn thing on his show without any wincing. I can put a lot of things in my mouth and spit them out too while making a face. Can I have my own show?

What bugs me about the show is his clothes. Does he ever change out of that salmon colored polo and white shorts? Do only Americans wear shorts? When he goes to South America I hope he doesn't.

Davydd

It is just an Anglicized Welsh spelling for David to celebrate my English/Welsh ancestry. The Welsh have no "v" in their alphabet or it would be spelled Dafydd.

I must warn you. My passion is the Breaded Pork Tenderloin Sandwich

Now blogging: Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Blog

I like the premise of the show.  I think the show could be so much more if they got a better producer and frankly I don't think the host is all that engaging.  He just seems like an average Joe. 

A format like this has a pretty short shelf life unless the host can keep it fresh.

This guy can't. (1.5 shows was about my limit)

SB (thinks Chris Cognac would do a better job :wink: )

Thanks.....we actually wanted to do something like that....Oh and the shorts thing....I wanted to wear them more....but Sean would only let me wear em in 1 segment in Miami!!!

I have not scene the show....so I cant comment on it....the promo's look good though...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen a whole show, mainly because I do NOT like the premise and that guy seems really annoying . I mean Bizarre Foods? Bizarre to who? It seems like the point of it (well other than making money for the network) is to see what other people eat, decide it is 'bizarre' and then Big Mac-eating everyday Americans can say 'ooooh....they eat testicles in Spain' or 'look at that...I cannot believe he's eating this crap'.

I could be wrong, but the whole premise is bizarre to me.

edit: typos and factual info and to add that I had not read the first page of this thread when I first posted. I see I am one of many who share this same view about BF.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I've just watched most of the current one where he makes a tour of the gulf coast, spending quality time at Six Flags over Pork (Hebert's Specialty Meats in Maurice LA). He treated the Cajun stuff with respect, at least.

Regarding the issue with "Bizzare", I think there is a bit of Fear Factor in it, but it is bizzare to Ma and Pa Kettle. Considering that Americans have becomes fast food afficianados, the idea of the icky parts of any animal, or vegetables that don't come from a can becomes "bizzare."

Sad, but at least it stirs an interest in other foods that many people may not be exposed to.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I saw his Gulf Coast episode tonight and enjoyed it. His travels concentrated on the Gulf states--Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, and Florida. Everyone he encountered was treated with respect and as said previously they seemed to be having a really great time and very proud to show off their dishes.

It wasn't the shock or ick factor that kept me watching; JohnL's right, Fear Factor has got a lock on that.

It was his detailed description of foods I've never tasted that at least gave me some idea of their taste and texture such as squirrel, nutria, possum, raccoon, mullet roe and mullet gizzards. I think his restaurant critic/reviewer background was put to very good use in that regard.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I think the program is very respectful. I watched a recent episode where Zimmern sat down to a meal of grubs or (something they had harvested) with a family living in the rain forest of Ecuador.

As Bourdain has obviously realized, there has to be more to it than just seeking out and eating strange/exotic food items for shock effect.

To each their own of course and this is all very subjective. I watched last night's episode too to see how it 'sits'. Yeah, he did not disrespect the nice people of the gulf coast and seemed happy to be there even though I still think the crowd their aming for with this show is the same one that watches Fear Factor. The viewers who actually watch it for educational purposes and actually enjoy the food he's eating -nothing wrong with that- like some posters here are few and far between.

As for the host himself, well some people have what it takes to make it on TV and some don't. Zimern IMHO does not. I grew tired of his presence after 20 minutes. Just because he's a good food critic does not mean he can keep a show on TV going.

My 2 cents

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 2 weeks later...

It is funny how seriously people take every show involving food, thinking it should be made for foodies and if it isn't, it is not worth watching.

I enjoy the show, taking it for what it is . A show about a guy, who at times is repetitive, but is generally nice and sincere, eating various food items around the world. It is entertaining and a good way to pass 40 minutes and seeing different cultures. I've seen many dishes and foods so far that i hadn't heard of before, and found interesting. Bizarre? To me, sometimes (the worms in the logs in Indonesia).

Bizarre is defined as "markedly unusual in appearance, style, or general character" Given the definition, that meaning has to take a cultural and knowledge context. If you havn't seen something before, it could be considered bizarre, no matter how normal to someone else.

Bizarre is not a derogatory term, nor is it intended to be in this case.

I think everyone needs to lighten up. And if you don't like the show, or the host, don't watch it!

Just my $0.02.

jason

Why does he always eat by himself? Seems like there's not enough networking.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the show is well written, informative and shot very nicely. There is a lot of good info on there. However, I find the host to be awful. I hate the way he eats, popping food into his mouth and leaving his fingers up in the air while he chews. And his smug little expressions are corny and he talks frequently with his mouth full of food. It sometimes sounds like the microphone is in his mouth and it's just gross. I recently watched the Spain episode. The scene with him eating the suckling pigs' head in the beginning was disgusting. That baby pig deserved better.

And he always refers to the viewer as "Kids" - "when in doubt kids, always use your hands" Whatever.

The host definitely has a face for radio and needs to work on his table manners, but it's still more entertaining than watching housewives compete to see who can build the tallest tower of inedible Disney-themed junk food this week. I don't personally watch it because of the gross-out factor, I watch it to admire the problem solving abilities of people who are determined to make good use of every part of everything. Will I ever cook bull nuts? No. Is there a chance that I might learn something by watching someone else cook bull nuts? Of course.

I was excited for this show but his behavior at the durian farmer really turned me off. No respect! Even Bourdain ate the whole damn thing on his show without any wincing. I can put a lot of things in my mouth and spit them out too while making a face. Can I have my own show?

• 1 month later...

I've done a full 180 on this show. I have to admit before the host annoyed me and thought they could do a better job.

However, the past few episode that I've seen, I've really like the show. AZ has really grown on me. I really like the Tiawan show as did the alaska show.

I would and have recommended the show. Keep up the good work AZ.

Hyuk

I have to agree Soup. The execs must be reading this forum! :wink: He seems to be interacting with locals and hosts more personally, delving a little more deepy into the cultures, and being just a bit more respectfull. He grows on you I guess, kind of like a stray cat. He is no AB, but improving. I like him, and I will keep watching.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!