• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good store-bought slaw?

So here's the thing-- I usually make my own cole slaw and potato salad. But once in a while-- just once in a while, mind you!-- it would be nice to be able to pop into a store and just buy a pint of good slaw or potato salad. However, any that I've tried just haven't been to my taste. So does anyone know of some good store-bought slaw and/ or potato salad? Preferably in NE Philadelphia? I imagine any that I might like would probably come from a deli that makes them in-house, as any pre-packaged ones I've tried have a strange taste and texture to me.

To give you an idea of what I like-- and they're both pretty basic-- for slaw I grate the cabbage and squeeze out some of the liquid, and the dressing is mayo, cider vinegar, some sugar, S&P, and onion powder ( I didn't grow up with onion in our slaw so as much as I love onion, it just doesn't work for me in slaw. I like the onion powder better in this instance.) Potato salad is sliced, cooked red potatoes, with dressing of mayo thinned with some sweet gherkin juice, lots of chopped gherkins and finely chopped onion, S&P. The store slaw can have some grated carrot in it, but it should be creamy, with a nice sweet/ acid balance to it. And the potato salad doesn't have to have gherkins in it, but they do add a nice tang. So let's hear it-- does anyone know of good store-bought slaw and potato salad in NE Philly? Thank you!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I have found that the potato salads and slaws at Wegman's are eerily close to my mom's recipes, and she is an absolute authority on potato salad and cole slaws. They are my go-to side dishes when I grab a roast chicken or two at Wegman's.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

If there's a Genuardi's market near you, their new potato salad is delicious. Haven't tried their cole slaw, but it looked really good and very fresh as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I have tried doctoring some of them, but it took so much doctoring that I might as well have made it myself! Or it still didn't work.... Rich-- I guess the Wegman's stuff is packed to order at their deli counter? And Katie, yes, I'll have to try Genuardi's- that sounds promising!

You can always do like my Mother - buy it and "doctor" it up.

I think this can be a good compromise (on not even a compromise) depending if you can achieve the final potato salad or cole slaw that you like. At my Mom's local supermarket, for instance, their coleslaw can "work" for us by adding more vinegar or lemon and adjusting with salt, pepper, sugar or mayo/sour cream/yogurt if it's a creamy version.

I've personally found it more difficult to "fix" potato salads, mainly due to the texture and size of the potato slices that I like, but it really depends on the final result that one is looking for. I really like chopped parsley and some chopped onion in my potato salad so this might be another ingredient I might try adding. But... I usually ike my own homemade potato salads so much better than commercial ones that I would rather make it myself or substitute with another dish if I don't have the time to make it. I *do* like different types of slaw and potato salads, but there are also so many purchased or commerical ones nowadays that I definately don't like!

It's so interesting how people's tastes, including my own, can be so specfic in certain aspect of taste and texture for these ostensibly simple dishes. In any case, although I'm 'butting in' to a Pennsylvania thread, I just wanted to echo tafkap4d's general thoughts re: the doctoring option. It also sounds like you're getting some good local suggestions for purchased salads to check out and ultimately compare wth your own taste!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks to all for the suggestions!  I have tried doctoring some of them, but it took so much doctoring that I might as well have made it myself!  Or it still didn't work....  Rich-- I guess the Wegman's stuff is packed to order at their deli counter?  And Katie, yes, I'll have to try Genuardi's- that sounds promising!

The Wegman stuff is displayed and served up at the cooked-to-go counter, where you'd find their meatloaf, chicken, salmon and other entrees and sides to go. NOT at their deli counters.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

The only reason not to make your own slaw is because sometimes it's just a pain to shred the cabbage and carrots, or you just want a little and a whole head of cabbage is, well, a WHOLE HEAD OF CABBAGE!

The solution is to grit your teeth and pick up pre-shredded cabbage or slaw mix at your greengrocer's. Then make the dressing to your liking. The quality and sanitary quality of the cabbage is going to be no worse than that of most delis or deli departments.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

And Katie, yes, I'll have to try Genuardi's- that sounds promising!

Disclaimer:

The only Genuardi's I've ever visited is the one in Radnor, and that's where I bought the new potato salad. It was made from tiny little red new potatoes, fresh dill and a sour cream like dressing. It was delicious and waaaayyy easier than making it myself, yet it tasted "homemade". Not sure if every Genuardi's would have it, but I suspect there's probably some consistency across their deli departments corporate wide.

If you do find it, it was the best store bought I've had.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Disclaimer:

The only Genuardi's I've ever visited is the one in Radnor, and that's where I bought the new potato salad. It was made from tiny little red new potatoes, fresh dill and a sour cream like dressing. It was delicious and waaaayyy easier than making it myself, yet it tasted "homemade". Not sure if every Genuardi's would have it, but I suspect there's probably some consistency across their deli departments corporate wide.

Feh.

I'd have to take my chances with Genuardis.com.

That, or hop off the 109 one evening en route home and hope their Springfield store has it.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Disclaimer:

Feh.

I'd have to take my chances with Genuardis.com.

That, or hop off the 109 one evening en route home and hope their Springfield store has it.

The Wynnewood or Cherry Hill stores might be easier to get to via public transport. Not necessarily on your way home from work, but certainly on main roads.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

The only reason not to make your own slaw is because sometimes it's just a pain to shred the cabbage and carrots, or you just want a little and a whole head of cabbage is, well, a WHOLE HEAD OF CABBAGE!

That is what happened with the last batch of cole slaw I made, for New Year's. I went to Bell's Market, and for some reason I thought they'd have a variety of cabbage sizes. The SMALLEST they had was at least 7 pounds!! Needless to say, I made a load of slaw, and still had a large chunk left over. It was very nice cabbage though-- not stringy at all like some large ones I've had. If I get one that big again, maybe I'll 'multi-task' it, and use the outside leaves for stuffed cabbage and the rest for slaw. And if I just want a small batch, maybe I'll give the already shredded cabbage a try.

As for potato salad, the packaged store-bought ones have a strange texture to me, both in the potatoes and the dressing. I don't know how to describe the potato texture, and the dressing just doesn't have that nice mayonaise creaminess to it. I guess it's the processing that changes them. Katie-- There is a Genuardi's near me, so I'll have to see if they have the potato salad you got. Or would I be stereotyping to say that it seems like a Radnor-style potato salad rather than a Huntington Valley style? :biggrin:

Funny, the first thing I thought when I read your original post was Bell's Market. Then I focused on the specific type of slaw you were looking for. They don't have that, but they have some amazing salads in their prepared foods case. There is a slaw-like salad with finely shredded cucumber that is really delicious. That's my go-to prepared salad when I'm looking for something slaw-like and don't have time to make it.

Abner's BBQ in Jenkintown makes really good slaw as well (though the BBQ is only fair to middling).

Or would I be stereotyping to say that it seems like a Radnor-style potato salad rather than a Huntington Valley style? :biggrin:

I think it's the "High-Rent Suburban" potato salad recipe that would be at home in either pocket of conspicuous consumption. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

As for potato salad, the packaged store-bought ones have a strange texture to me, both in the potatoes and the dressing.  I don't know how to describe the potato texture, and the dressing just doesn't have that nice mayonaise creaminess to it.  I guess it's the processing that changes them.  Katie-- There is a Genuardi's near me, so I'll have to see if they have the potato salad you got.  Or would I be stereotyping to say that it seems like a Radnor-style potato salad rather than a Huntington Valley style?  :biggrin:

I quantify this displeasing texture as "grainy" i.e. overcooked. They seem like they were cooked and sat in water for 3 hours after cooking.

I haven't seen this nice potato salad that Katie saw, I frequent the Genuardi's on Germantown in East Norriton. Maybe that one is actually made in house there? I love macaroni salad and can't find a premade one I like. I do like the Amish potato salad a Giant of all places. Lots of egg, yummy. I also appreciate the Boar's Head Cold Cuts. As for slaw, I've had one that's acceptable from Famous Dave's and JB Dawson's. Dawson's does take out but probably not cost effective.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I've had a very good slaw from DiBruno's.  Not too creamy, with celery seeds, and whatnot.  In fact, it was good enough-- and I was craving coleslaw enough-- that I ate the entire container as a snack.

Ahh... a Cabbage Cleanse! :laugh:

The participants of the steak taste test might have benefited from eating a bowl of cabbage afterwards... just to keep everything... um... nevermind...

__Jason