• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg

sweetback

I was looking at Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg on amazon.com, and saw that there are 2 versions a hard cover thats $116, and a paperback thats $32, now thats a pretty big difference in price, can anyone tell me the difference btwn the hardcover and the paperback?

thanks

I was looking at Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg on amazon.com, and saw that there are 2 versions a hard cover thats $116, and a paperback thats $32, now thats a pretty big difference in price, can anyone tell me the difference btwn the hardcover and the paperback?

thanks

I've had the paper back since the 90's and have never seen a hardback. I doubt there is any difference except the price. It rediculous what happens to prices of certain books that are fairly recent. Its a good reference for flavor parings.

I also have the soft cover edition that was first published in 1996. I use it at least weekly and it is still in mint condition. It is not so much a paperback as the cover/binding is quite durable. It really is the best guide I have found on flavor pairings.