• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Pan Peanut Butter

ulterior epicure

I didn't know what other forum to post this under, but, there has been a recall on all Peter Pan peanut butter stamped with serial numbers starting with "2111."

Here's the FDA release.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

We have to take one of these back to the store today. I'm feeling very lucky that I somehow didn't eat much of it. I am a big peanut butter eater. It helps when my blood sugar drops and is a good protein source when everything else is making me nauseous (gastric bypass sometime side effect) and besides peanut butter is...the best - like my Momma says - if God made anything better He kept it to Himself. When I hear about manna, I always assume it big old plops of PB raining down :laugh: !

I just read this article which gives a much clearer picture of what is happening with the peanut butter and salmonella: article from Slate online

Who put bacteria in my PB&J?

Peanut butter happens to be a pretty safe food when it comes to microorganisms. That's because the nuts are blanched, roasted, and ground up at temperatures high enough to kill any salmonella bacteria that might have gotten into the raw ingredients. But the germs can still contaminate the product in the "post-processing" phase of production—when the finished product is loaded into jars and labeled for sale. Post-processing contamination with fecal matter was the likely culprit.  Both the Australian and the recent American peanut butter outbreaks involved unusual strains of the bacteria

:huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

We stocked up on peanut butter when my partner went on a vegetarian break as well as when she was diagnosed with diabetes. I mean...we stocked up. We are inthe process of moving so we gave my Mother a couple of jars. When I saw this article, I discounted it, as we hadn't purchased peanut butter in months (think at least six). You can only imagine how shocked I was when my 80 year old Mother called me and asked me had I checked I peanut butter. I responded "For what, we've had it forver" she responded "the peanut butter you gave me has the code on it - 2111" My jaw dropped.

Regardless of how long you have had your peanut butter, please check it.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Yeah, this 2111 code is on old jars as well as new. I had just bought a new jar of peter pan, as the old one was almost gone. Checked both - both had the number. I don't recall feeling ill at all from eating the entire old jar - I must have been lucky.

I have to say I just cringe when food is recalled ..because I am an RN in a very busy urgent care clinic ...and well for the most part ...it can be mass hysteria for me when this kind of thing happened...

however..this time ..we have had confirmed cases of very sick kids and elders ...an entire nursing home was affected locally ...

argh....

makes me glad the brand I have always used is Adams Chunky

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

... that is, until Adams Chunky has a recall.

Sorry, don't mean to be snide, just an observation that it could happen to anybody and with any company. Take, for instance, that scare with spinach a few months back. Who would ever think that those fresh-looking and nicely bagged "organic"/"natural" and "healthy" produce would ever be re-called. I remembered that they cleared out EVERY thing closely related to the spinach family in the markets for weeks - couldn't find leafies, dark or otherwise, anywhere for a month!

I guess my point is: you never know who/what could be contaminated. I've heard many times in this past week, "I'm so thankful that I don't buy Peter Pan, and that I use brand X." Perhaps.

Truly sorry to hear about the chaos at the RN station. I can imagine that it's not a pleasant job. Thanks for making our lives better. :smile:

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

... that is, until Adams Chunky has a recall.

Sorry, don't mean to be snide, just an observation that it could happen to anybody and with any company. Take, for instance, that scare with spinach a few months back. Who would ever think that those fresh-looking and nicely bagged "organic"/"natural" and "healthy" produce would ever be re-called. I remembered that they cleared out EVERY thing closely related to the spinach family in the markets for weeks - couldn't find leafies, dark or otherwise, anywhere for a month!

I guess my point is: you never know who/what could be contaminated. I've heard many times in this past week, "I'm so thankful that I don't buy Peter Pan, and that I use brand X." Perhaps.

Truly sorry to hear about the chaos at the RN station. I can imagine that it's not a pleasant job. Thanks for making our lives better. :smile:

you are right of course about the peanut butter ..I was just being a smart#$%

thank you so much for saying such a nice thing about RN's :) I love my work ..almost as much as I love cooking !!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet